2001 k12RS indicator switchgear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 5:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

2001 k12RS indicator switchgear

Hi All

The Indicator cancel switch on my 2001 K12RS is sticking. I've taken the unit away off the bars and sprayed it big time with silicon lube but it still sticks in the 'up' position.

I can see two widdy little grub screws in the back of the unit that seem to hide the mechanics of it but I get the feeling if I undo them it's going to explode into the universe with springs - ball bearings - bits of plastic !!

Any ideas on how to get to the guts of the switch to lube it?

Is it a microswitch?

Cheers
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 7:34 am
Addict

I'm guessing it will be like my '97 which I've had apart a couple of times.

Spraying stuff in often just leaves the junk in there and clogs things up more.

The switch levers on the outside move small 'button switches' inside. These are kind of sealed but not very well with a rubber push over cap which can fall off. The small switches themselves can't be opened up, but can be dunked in switch cleaner and operated submerged to get cleaner fluid in and out.

Your problem is not switch contacts (yet), but once inside you might as well do the lot and clean the switches. You will probably find that plastic parts of the switch mechanism are rubbing, causing the operating lever to stick. The best thing for that is a very small smear of Teflon grease (sold in cycle shops).

You have to remove all the small screws you can see and then the covers. There are a couple of very small torx self tapping screws to remove which expose the internals. BUT BE WARNED. There are a couple of small fine springs which sit in the mechanism and these can fall out once the switch internals are exposed. The switch wires are tightly packed into some parts which have a plastic channel and they use a small tiewrap to hold them in. If you cut the tiewrap, write down the order of the wire colors as they layed them and put them back the same way. Dismantle over a clean bucket or something. Also it's easy to forget how some of the parts go back, so take photos and have patience.

BE WARNED 2 that if you bust or lose a part you will have to buy a complete new switch ($$s)!

A common problem is to not get the covers (clam shells) fitting correctly when re-assembled. It takes a bit of fiddle to check the gaps are the same all around and the covers aren't rubbing on the switch levers (which might be your problem).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode