Brake Pad Questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 1:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Brake Pad Questions

I am nearly due to replace brake pads on my 2009 K1300GT. I am trying to figure out what I should use for replacement parts. My bike has the brake pad wear indicating system, but it is not triggered yet. Here are my questions,

Does the wear indicating system monitor the wire in the brake pads for a short to ground? Or for an Open?

If I choose to disable the wear indicating system, will it set the alarm if I leave it disconnected (open)? Or should I jumper it?

Are the stock pads ceramic, front & rear? Or is one set or both sintered?

Has anyone found after market sintered pads, or have any knowledge of availability of them?

Thanks for helping.
Edit/Delete Message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 7:10 pm
Addict

The wire is usually a loop which completes the circuit and is broken when the rotor wears the wire away. Jumpering the connector should fool the sensing circuit. Incidentally, some cars use one wire, the sensing system is normally 'open' then closed to ground when the rotor gets to the wire.

Brake pad wear indicators are a great concept, but in practice they either don't tell the truth on remaining pad wear, don't work, or can give false results. Most experienced riders will tell you that rotors are so expensive you shouldn't take chances on wear indicators, flip the pad covers and use your eyes!

Personally, I think wear indicators are just an excuse to sell a brand/model specific pad with low volume sales for a high price.

I used to drill aftermarket pads used on my car and insert a thin ptfe covered wire at 1mm remaining pad depth. But these were 18mm thick pads and easy to do. BMW pads have very little friction material and there lies the problem. The sensor wire has to be thinner, more delicate and accurately positioned, which is why I think so many people say they give trouble.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2010, 3:37 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I suspect I'll disable the indicating system too. Do you have anything to impart about the other questions in my original post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 6:44 am
Addict

My bike is an earlier '97 KRS so check your specs, although as far as I know the pads are the same and you decide which composition to use. I think ceramic is a bit high tek for these bikes!

Personally, I've always used aftermarket organic EBC or Vesrah pads which are a softer Kevlar composition. Although the harder scintered HH grade can be fitted. I have a shock every time I see the price of replacement rotors on these bikes - even at aftermarket prices, so my choice is softer pads. I used to get a lot of black dust on the rear wheel which annoys some and when I first got the bike the rears lasted about 4K, but that just told me I was using the rear brake too much.

If you ride hard and brake a lot, then lean towards the harder HH grade scintered pads, but the extra fun may cost you later on in faster rotor wear.

These are heavy bikes and will knock out pads quickly if you ride the brakes hard. If you are a less spirited touring rider, then read up on engine braking techniques as it saves on pads and clutch wear.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode