'85 K100rt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 1:08 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Non Starting '85 K100RT

Howdy Friends, I'm looking for some help on an '85 K100RT I just picked up. The bike is in ok condition, and the price was right, the problem is, its been sitting for 5 years. So far, Ive replaced all fuses, checked for spark (strong), replaced fuel with premium, and added injector cleaner. At this point, the bike turns over, but does not fire. As in, the starter motor turns, there's air coming out of the pipes as the pistons turn, all lights are on, but it seems as though the bike just isn't catching (fuel not igniting).

So, if anybody has any bright ideas or similar experiences, I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks All,

Pete

Last edited by Stabbypete; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 2:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2011, 12:59 am
Enthusiast

Check the Fuel Pump. It may be gumed up. Are the plugs wet?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2011, 8:46 am Thread Starter
Noob

Non Starting '85 K100RT

Thanks CGHEMWICK, yes the plugs are wet, is there a simple way to check the pump? I read in one of the earlier posts that you should be able to hear it with the tank open while engaging the ignition switch? Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2011, 4:52 pm

You can hear the fuel pump on my 86 even without the filler cap open, some here have suggested the 85 is different in some respects.
Air coming out of the exhaust is a good thing but I would still check the air filter. The old adage is air+fuel+compression+spark and it's gotta start.
Do you know if she was running when put away, if yes then we can assume the spark is happening at the right time.
Fuel pressure is vital in a Fuel Injected engine, on my Trials bike a 'simple' Fuel Pump Flow Inspection is described as;
Disconnect fuel return hose from the pressure regulator and plug the hose end. Connect the other fuel hose to the pressure regulator and insert the hose end into an approved fuel container. Operate the fuel pump for 10 seconds and measure the volume of fuel delivered. ...for my Trials bike that should be .6 ounces, for the K i can imagine double that or more but I'm guessing. Sounds like a good test if you can facilitate it as it would confirm fuel delivery.
Otherwise inspect for:
- pinched or clogged fuel line
- Clogged Fuel Filter
- Pressure Regulator
- Faulty Fuel Pump
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2011, 9:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the tips, I spoke with a mechanic buddy last night and he recommended something pretty similar, although without the pressure gauge, at least just to make sure there is fuel getting to the fuel rail. After figuring that, I'll move on to the injectors and give them a good soak. Again, thanks for the tips, we'll see what happens, hopefully this weekend.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2011, 8:41 pm
Veteran

If you are moving on to the injectors......you may not like the price of the O-rings from BMW.
Anyway you can use a 9V battery and some jumper wires to get them to open, then you can sort of clean them by shooting carb cleaner through them, but wear eye protection and gloves if you do that.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode