Transmission leak? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:03 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question Transmission leak?

Ok this has me a bit stumped. The past couple of days I have noticed some oil leak on the right side and bottom, engine to transmission connection. I have no clutch slip!
I pulled the belly pan this evening and got down there with a 500w light to have a good look. Mostly on the bottom was wet, the right side had some oil from air pushing it up there. Wiped it down but could not see a source. The oil felt like and smelled like tyranny lube, was way clean, not like engine oil. Engine oil level ok.
So I pulled the tranny fill plug to check level and pressure shot fluid out a foot or more, had bucket underneath, caught a about 1/8 of a cup, plus what ever shot past bucket. I changed fluids last Feb. no problems all year. Now it seemed overfilled, and pressurized. WTF? Took if for quick ride, no more leak. Iwill ride to work tomorrow, 120 mile round trip to see if I get any more leak.
Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:30 pm
Addict

You do your own maintenace right. When was the last time you checked the trans. oil? and did you add to it? maybe you forgot and had the bike on the side stand. I don't know.
But it sure sounds like the trans was way over filled.
Good luck.
Bazra
aka; The Flash

K1200RS 04
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 5:56 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Nope none of that. Checked last month while on centerstand, level was at top of hole. I am perplexed at this right now. I have never added to the tranny, just a little to the rear drive unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 1:35 pm
"DELIVERS"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeast
Nope none of that. Checked last month while on centerstand, level was at top of hole.
You do mean 'level at BOTTOM of hole', right?
:-)

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 2:41 pm
Addict

Usually tranni boxes have a breather somewhere, sometimes it's subtle like a vertical slot cut in the filler plug if it sits vertical on top. Anything been swapped out for 'polish and chrome/gold plated' aftermarket? Haven't had reason to explore mine, so sorry others may be able to confirm or not.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jan 11th, 2006 at 2:43 pm. Reason: typo
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 3:20 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Red face

Duh, yep bottom of hole.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 3:22 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Cool

I was wondering about a breather hole, just can not find one. Probably on top under the tank and all the other stuff.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 6:38 am

Wildbeast, there is rubber vent on top of transmission. 2000krs Mine was pretty dirty but seemed to still work. Careful pulling off as grud may fall in vent port. See if you can get to this vent without taking apart bike. Ensure it's clean and working, wipe up all oil and ride but, keep an eye out for residual leaking. Also where you say trans fluid is leaking from is suppose to be a dry area. Motor oil was leaking from mine and it got worse till I pulled apart and main seal was shot.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 7:35 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Found the vent, was carfully lifting it off, long reach with screw driver, when it shot straight up. The transmission made a pressure relirf venting sound as it shot the vent cap up some where on top of engine. Arrggh! Awe ohh, cops everywhere, be right back.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 7:00 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Angry

Dang, Cops hauled away my neighbors son. Took bike for ride, the leak is definitely coming out of the trans/engine connection. This looks like a rear main, as it appears now as engine oil, and my sightglass showed a drop the past trip to work. I just dread the cost of this. A co-worker just got his K12LT out of the shop for a bad o-ring on a bolt behind the flywheel area, $1600. Why so difficult to remove transmission?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode