accessory outlet capacity - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2011, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy accessory outlet capacity

On my '03 K1200 GT I have two factory power outlets. I see that both of them are on one 7.5 amp mini plug fuse in the fuse block. My heated gear draws 9.6 amps on high. A ten amp fuse will hold about 20 minutes before blowing. I would like to try to use the spare fuse location to protect one of the outlets. I can split the wiring harness and seperate the outlets but I do not know if I can find or insert contacts in the spare fuse location. I have three questions I need answered. 1. Has anyone put contacts in the spare slot? If I use the fuse block for two sets of heated clothing I will draw about 17 amps. Will this overload the feed to the fuse block? My alternate solution is to install a 15 amp fuse for one outlet and direct wire one outlet with an in line fuse direct from the battery. Is there any problem with this solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2011, 1:50 pm
Addict

I'm making up my own heated gear and this is a question I've been thinking about. I'm aiming for no more than 10 amps for 1 set of gear - gloves, jacket, boot sole liners and pants topside. That's about 140 watts max for the full set.

From memory, the oem powerlet connectors are fused at 7.5 amp as you say. But I seem to remember the wire gauge into the loom isn't that great, as with the rest of the bike. It's not just the running current you have to worry about, but also the fusing current if there's a fault on the gear side.

Looking at the way those powerlet connectors are made, I wouldn't push them more than 10 amps and you will be limited to the thickness of wire you can get in them anyway. From what research I've done on commercial heated gear, they seem to be working to less than 10 amps for a 1 rider set of clobber.

My KRS came with 1 powerlet wired to the loom and the second not fitted so I was able to fit a second outlet fused direct on the battery with heavier wire.

If you want to use the oem then I would suggest adding wires in parallel - a second ground wire and a hot wire to the fuse block, then uprate the fuse to 10-15 amps.

For the second connector, I would go with an add-on and wire that via a fuse to the battery. Mine had the cutout marked on their ABS panel, just under the oem.

The powerlets have the advantage (or disadvantage?) that they can pull out if you dismount and forget. You could consider another connector solution and wire it fused direct to the battery.

Having to think about my own gear design, it worried me that the gear could drain the battery. I don't know if the Gerbins stuff comes with an affordable solution, but I'm building in a battery charge detector so my gear only powers when there are sufficient motor revs to put the battery into charge.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Feb 13th, 2011 at 1:55 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode