Fuel Filter change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2011, 11:31 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Filter change

I finally got around to changing my fuel filter on my 2000 K1200RS today. I have 35,900 miles. I also had rounded the heads on some of the fairing screws, so bought a complete set of polished SS screws off EBay. It had about 80 odd screws of different sixes left over. The switch gear,fairing, turn signals, air scoops, foot pegs, you name it they were in the box, and instructions on what went where.
My bike has the big round nut holding the pump inside the tank. I removed it with an oil filter remover with the adjustable plyers type grip.
It also removes a bunch of different sized oil filters with ease. BMW can keep their speciel expensive tool, I don't need it.
I thought the lil dirt pocket at the bottom front of the tank was a neat idea. And yes, I did have a tea spoon of dirt and grit flush out the bottom.

http://www.bikedevils.com/bike-it-un...ol-16831-p.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2011, 9:53 am
Veteran

I found a well preserved wasp in mine....!

I wonder what I'll find today, time to change that filter again.

Stainless......you can also do all the covers and a lot of the mounting hardware for just about the price of that E-Bay fairing kit.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2011, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

That's possibly the same one I got. After replacing all the items on my bike, fairing, pegs, switch gear and fluid covers, rear rack and supports, tag and tail light lens, then I still had about 80 screws left over. Only $49 for nearly 200 assorted screws. I thought it was well worth.Someone over the years had a mixture of socket head and two size torx heads scattered.
Plus I restore classic bicycles so I'll use them sooner or later. I just hope they are good quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2011, 11:48 am
Veteran

Not a kit, I made it up so I could do the timing cover, water pump, oil pans etc....! All good A2 bolts. But all of the fairing/fuel filler/switches screws on my bike are already stainless, just painted from BMW, so I stripped them all on the wire wheel, nice and shiny now.

I see you are wondering about the quality. Someone else posted on that a while back and did not seem too impressed with one of them kits, he said something about marshmallow bolts.

I may go for Titanium for some of the critical bolts on brake calipers, frame etc....no way I am using stainless there, it does not come up close to Grade 8.

You wouldn't have a list of what came with the kit so I could work on something like a full replacement of all the fasteners with SS, mostly done on my bike, but someone else may be interested.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by H96669; Feb 21st, 2011 at 11:53 am.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2011, 1:46 pm
Addict

I started with a smallish kit then added what else I needed by going online to a SS bolt supplier.

The biggest headache in all of this is getting an accurate bolt list together and some details of where they go for the first timers.

I love stainless - fit and forget, although I did wonder what HT bolt could be a replacement for the caliper fixings. You have to watch which caliper bolts you might think of swapping though. The two that hold the two caliper halves together can corrode in and sheer if you are too persistent. Oops - a new caliper is not cheap.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode