2006 k1200s cam chain tensioner upgrade over 12k - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve-P
  • 1 Post By weatherherk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 1:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2006 k1200s cam chain tensioner upgrade over 12k

Hi, I have just purchased a 2006 k1200s with 40k kms on it and naturally the famous noise is there. The previous owner never bothered to upgrade it with the new tensioner. I have read some topics here (probably not all), and have seen some suggestions to install it even over 12k (what is not recommended by BMW). So, just would like to ask if anyone have had any problems if installed the new tensioner on the bike with over 12k miles.
If it is dangerous to the engine, I don't want to cause an expensive repair, but if it is safe, I'd like to get rid of this ugly sound. Actually I can hear it on my bike not only at the startup, but here and there during idling the motor as well. Any answer would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 3:20 pm

I'll be interested in reading the replies to this. My bike had 20,000 miles on it when the updated CCT came out and I was planning on installing it but my dealer at the time said not to unless I wanted to replace the sprockets, chain and guides at the same time. My bike is now at 49,000 miles with the original CCT and while it does rattle very briefly (maybe for 1 second and not at every start) it doesn't seem to do any harm. The tech that did my valve adjustment at 44,000 miles said everything looked good and not to worry, the noise isn't hurting anything. I just installed the cam chain jump guard (for peace of mind) and I can't see any wear on the chain, sprockets or guides. I'm going to press on the way I have been until something comes from BMW or a dealer that says to do otherwise.

If you can hear yours rattle while the bike idles I would think something will have to be done, but I'll let others make the suggestions.

Does your dealer have an opinion on this?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 4:07 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I am just going to see the dealership soon, but I'am a little afraid of them talking big $$$ as they always do. As long as it does not require special tools or above average technical skills, I prefer to do repairs myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 1:32 pm
Looking for better limits...

The last bulletin I read made note not to change the tensioner if the bike had more than 12k miles on it (19km). I haven't read what you're supposed to do if you're past that mileage and getting the rattle. Maybe their suggestion of changing the sprockets and chain is the process if you change the tensioner after that mileage.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:10 am Thread Starter
Noob

Well, I went to see the dealer, and unfortunately he could not tell me much, other than the bike is in good condition and there is no "unusual" noise from the engine.
For me it is unusual though. So, got the new tensioner and have decided to install myself. The only difference I can see is that spring on the neck of the tensioner at the new oil reservoir. The tensioner itself is exactly the same. The inside spring seems to be same strength too. By the service bulletin, that spring is not necessary to install with the modified tensioner. I wonder why? Without it there is less pressure on the chain tensioner. With usage the chain stretches a little and maybe that is the reason why BMW suggests not to install this modification on bikes over 19k km.
What if this spring is installed with the new oil reservoir? That way the pressure on the chain tensioner is the same and the lubrication is improved. Looks like a win-win. I think, I will install it with the spring. That would not hurt anything. Does anyone can think anything against?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 12:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

Installed the oil reservoir with the spring from the original, and it is working perfectly. The spring pressure on the cam chain is the same now as before and the chain rattle noise is gone. I believe that might be the solution for bikes over 19k km for the chain noise.
garbagemech likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2012, 9:50 am
Noob

tensioner

Hi there....new to BMW and i'm getting a 08 k1200 gt with 4000 miles on it. Dose anyone have part numbers for the tensioner and the guard and is this something you have to order from BMW....thanks...Chris
garbagemech likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2012, 9:01 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherherk
Hi there....new to BMW and i'm getting a 08 k1200 gt with 4000 miles on it. Does anyone have part numbers for the tensioner and the guard and is this something you have to order from BMW....thanks...Chris
I don't know the part numbers, and yes, you have to order them from BMW unless you want to go the manual tensioner route (search on manual tensioner). There's a discussion in the K1300GT forum about the cam chain issues.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 5:24 am
Noob

K1200 bad design poor service

Hi there
I am in Sydney Australia.
I have had this problem with cam chain derailing after a tensioner was fitted.
Twice !
First time I contacted BMW to see if there were any other issues , this was late jan 2013 two months after "retrofit " bulletin went out about "guide rail " BMW offered me no information regarding this recall and I will call it a recall as anything else is an insult to my and your intelligence.
How cunning are BMW to get the copy writers to create a new phrase ie "retrofit " and that automatically distances them from any responsibility or acknowledgement of an obvious fault In Design.
Why else would they research ,design , tool up and produce a new part ???
And then fit free of charge after $1,303 damage has occurred.
I shall be taking them to a tribunal then ACCC for neglegence and then I shall go to every tv channel.
This is obviously a major problem for them and dancing around the "recall vs retrofit " is one thing but a clear email to head office in Melbourne and then Germany asking "have you BMW had any issues with Cam Chain Tensioners " two months after bulletin.
There answer was I should not have gone outside of the BMW network , the very network that failed to inform me I actually required a tensioner to begin with.
This actually forces BMW riders to remain in there network , alone a serious offence in Australia.
I loyally gave my dollars to the ex BMW mechanic now out on his own as he was the person who allerted me to the rattle to begin with.
How would we be if Yamaha , Honda etc demanded that all bikes be fixed my only them ?
Someone needs to stand up to these people.
Thanks to this web site I have gotten enough encouragement and knowledge to realize I am not alone.
After this me and BMW finito !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode