Hot Grips - Sticky Throttle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2011, 2:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hot Grips - Sticky Throttle

I have owned my KS for 2 years (2008) and recently the throttle becomes sticky and fails to self return once the heated grips warm up. Yes I do have Throttlemeisters but why suddenly this problem when not before? Is there an adjustment I don't know about?
Recently on a long fairly cold and wet trip I had the heated grips turned to the second setting and my hands were feeling really quite toasty, very pleasant in fact but the throttle was tight to the point of having to really intervene to turn it off!
I tried inserting another washer into the Throttlemeister but it didn't change anything. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfox
I have owned my KS for 2 years (2008) and recently the throttle becomes sticky and fails to self return once the heated grips warm up. Yes I do have Throttlemeisters but why suddenly this problem when not before? Is there an adjustment I don't know about?
Recently on a long fairly cold and wet trip I had the heated grips turned to the second setting and my hands were feeling really quite toasty, very pleasant in fact but the throttle was tight to the point of having to really intervene to turn it off!
I tried inserting another washer into the Throttlemeister but it didn't change anything. Any suggestions?
I had a similar problem. I can only suggest to remove the Tmeister and reinstall using the instructions from scratch. It could be a washer warped or even tore since they are so thin. I had to adjust mine more than once to get it working correctly.
07KS

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2011, 4:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the reply. I reckon you are right I will completely re-instal and see how it goes. I will look hard for a broken spacer in the throttle mechanism. Many thanks allikanbe1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2011, 6:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I took the Throttlemeister out to reinstall and noticed I could not withdraw the bolt spindle as the washer spacers appeared to be seized. After a bit of gentle persuasion with a hole punch out she came. I found the heat of the grips had melted the lock-tite that had run down the spindle and choked everything up. I must have been too generous with the lock-tite when I originally installed the Throttlemeisters. I've taken one spacer out and added a thinner one. All is working fine I just have to test with the grips on full heat while riding. A trap for beginners - don't use too much lock-tite.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2011, 5:22 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfox
All is working fine I just have to test with the grips on full heat while riding. A trap for beginners - don't use too much lock-tite.
You don't have to test the new set-up while riding. Start the bike in neutral (bike in a wheel chock to be safe) and turn on the heated grips. If the Tmeister will stick again, it will stick while the bike is standing still too. This way you can adjust as needed quickly and safely.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 2:56 am Thread Starter
Noob

Check your Throttlemeister installation periodically

Yes point taken much wiser and safer to test while stationary.
I was surprised with how seized up the Throttlemeister was inside, without the hole punch there was no getting the fixing bolt out or removing the spacer washers.
The instructions say to use lock-tite and I did but probably a little too much. I'm still curious as to why this has only become a problem recently rather than 6 months ago when I installed the Meisters. I'm sure I have used the grip warmers during that time. Perhaps I did but only on the middle setting, it dosn't get very cold in Sydney other than in the dead of winter. The moral in the story is stay up to date with even the smallest of maintenance issues, even Throttlemeisters need checking from time to time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode