K1200s brake failure light - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 5:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200s brake failure light

I have a K1200s (UK 2006 model) with only 9000 miles on the clock. Last week the Brake failure light came on, however the brakes have continued to work fine. Unfortunately when I turn the engine off a pump continues to run and flattens the battery if left for a while.

I took it to a dealer who put the bike on the diagnostic kit. He said there were too many failure log to know what the problem actually is. He would need to investigate at a rate of £72 per hour. When I looked at the log I noticed most of the notices were for low voltage at the pump. I told the technician that surely this would be due to the battery going flat, then being recharged and periodically being disconnected to protect it from the ever running pump. Apparently if the pump needs to be replaced then it will cost £1400 + labour to fit it.

Another thing that unnerved me was that the dealer wasn't sure if my bike had servo assisted brakes. He said that a new system had been introduced and the new pumps had been much better than previous.

Q1. Does anyone know if the 2006 (UK spec) K1200s has servo brakes?

Q2. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the cause?

Here's hoping it is something other than the pump going pear shaped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 2:59 pm
Noob

Brakes

I have the 2006 model and it has servo brakes for sure . Don't know the what problem is though.£1400.00 Second opinion needed me thinks .

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6886
May be a low battery or even low brake fluid level.

Last edited by ccummins; May 31st, 2011 at 3:02 pm. Reason: Adding link
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:04 am
Veteran

I was looking at the MAX BMW website and their parts fiche as I have the big-dollar servo-assist GT. You can hear the pump whine easily and I don't know why your dealer can't tell?

Seems the K1200S had a changeout of the brake ABS unit around August 2006. Looks like the one that lost the power assist after that date and is $600 US cheaper too without it. Servo-assit unit here is "PRESSURE MODULATOR, PARTIAL INTEGRAL ABS (to 08/2006) $2468.59. After 8-2006, PRESSURE MODULATOR INTEGRAL ABS GEN. 2 $1886.37. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some hose retrofit involved too to do a conversion which will cost a bundle per BMW hose prices. Ouch either way.

I'll add I have seen some Bosch ABS rebuilders popping up. I think Landrover had someone in the UK rebuilding their units. Might be a cheaper alternative.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2017, 11:04 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack View Post
I was looking at the MAX BMW website and their parts fiche as I have the big-dollar servo-assist GT. You can hear the pump whine easily and I don't know why your dealer can't tell?

Seems the K1200S had a changeout of the brake ABS unit around August 2006. Looks like the one that lost the power assist after that date and is $600 US cheaper too without it. Servo-assit unit here is "PRESSURE MODULATOR, PARTIAL INTEGRAL ABS (to 08/2006) $2468.59. After 8-2006, PRESSURE MODULATOR INTEGRAL ABS GEN. 2 $1886.37. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some hose retrofit involved too to do a conversion which will cost a bundle per BMW hose prices. Ouch either way.

I'll add I have seen some Bosch ABS rebuilders popping up. I think Landrover had someone in the UK rebuilding their units. Might be a cheaper alternative.

Mack
Has anyone a contact details for rebuilding these modulator/abs units. I just got quoted $4000. In australia parts only. !!!!
Help!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2019, 10:49 pm

Red face K help

If it were ME,, I would fully charge the battery and then find some one with the GS911 or get your own and read and clear all the current codes. Once the battery is fully charged the 911 will be able to better pin point the cause of the issue. There are fuses and relays that you can pull to stop the pump motor from running after shut off. You will still have brakes but they will be all manual.. Once you find the magic fuse relay, TEST THE BRAKES before you ride the bike to fully understand your new braking feel/performance.

I have my own GS911 and it has saved me from a stealership diagnostic and repair charge for a faulty wheel speeds sensor connector connection. One fault repair paid for the GS911. I seldom use it cause my 07 K1200R is running excellent. But,, if it doesn't, I can pull it out as a diagnostic tool to get the bike back on the road.

Bill From I BMW.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode