restore dormant K75 after 4 years sleep - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2011, 12:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

restore dormant K75 after 4 years sleep

I am a new member to this forum, and hope this is an appropriate inquiry.

I have a '94 K75 that hasn't been started or ridden in 4 years. Due to knee surgery and variety of other reasons, I just lost interest in riding. I thought I'd get back into it, but it hasn't happened, so I've decided to finally put the bike up for sale. Before I do that, I need advice on what preparation should be done to insure the bike can be safely started and ridden. I regret that I haven't done anything to maintain the bike in the past 4 years, but it has been kept covered and parked under a carport, in the Seattle, WA area. We rarely see freezing temps, and the bike has always remained dry. Both tires have plenty of tread, and don't show any signs of rot. FWIW, the bike has always been mechanically sound and reliable.

I presume I need to replace the battery and oil. Would the fuel injection system, coolant system, or brake fluid need attention before starting the bike up? If I were to take this to a BMW dealer for this pre-sale preparation work, what would it likely cost?

BTW, the bike has 23,800 miles on it. I'd be selling it with a set of hard BMW luggage bags, KG tank bag, heated grips, windshield and storage cover. I believe this is the base model K75 (no sport features, fairing or ABS). Any clue on an appropriate asking price for this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2011, 11:04 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp158
I am a new member to this forum, and hope this is an appropriate inquiry.

I have a '94 K75 that hasn't been started or ridden in 4 years. Due to knee surgery and variety of other reasons, I just lost interest in riding. I thought I'd get back into it, but it hasn't happened, so I've decided to finally put the bike up for sale. Before I do that, I need advice on what preparation should be done to insure the bike can be safely started and ridden. I regret that I haven't done anything to maintain the bike in the past 4 years, but it has been kept covered and parked under a carport, in the Seattle, WA area. We rarely see freezing temps, and the bike has always remained dry. Both tires have plenty of tread, and don't show any signs of rot. FWIW, the bike has always been mechanically sound and reliable.

I presume I need to replace the battery and oil. Would the fuel injection system, coolant system, or brake fluid need attention before starting the bike up? If I were to take this to a BMW dealer for this pre-sale preparation work, what would it likely cost?

BTW, the bike has 23,800 miles on it. I'd be selling it with a set of hard BMW luggage bags, KG tank bag, heated grips, windshield and storage cover. I believe this is the base model K75 (no sport features, fairing or ABS). Any clue on an appropriate asking price for this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Dave
Hey Dave.
Sounds like a sweet little ride for someone with that low mileage.
Firstly, how long have the tyres been on it? I know you said that they have plenty of tread but given the mileage on the bike they are likely to be quite old and the rubber and construction could fail if not replaced.
Secondly Fuel. When you switch her on listen for the fuel pump to come on as it has possibly shit itself. If there is no sound when you switch on the power you may need to replace the fuel pump
There us a rubber covering on the fuel pump that may have disintegrated and is possibly laying in the tank and could block the fuel filter pick up.
Drain the tank, you can get at the fuel filter through the filler cap and its easy to replace then fill her up with fresh fuel.
The injectors are likely to be very sticky and it is very likely to run like a pig when you do start it.
To avoid an expensive injector reco, they often come good once you have run a couple of tanks of fuel through them so if possible try that first. Take her for a ride somewhere where you are not going to be under pressure from traffic and just keep winding her up and down the rev range pushing fuel through the injectors. It might come good.
Thirdly you might find the oil seal in the water pump has failed.
There is a drip hole in the under side of the water pump so after it has been running for a while check for an oil leak there. A seal kit can be purchased.
Finally check the fork seals. After it has been ridden check the fork tubes and seals for leakage.
These things are typical of an early K that has been dormant for some time but you may experience none of them.
Good luck and keep us informed on the project.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2011, 12:40 pm
Veteran

Make it drink some Seafoam, they are raving about that stuff nowadays in just them applications. I am Canadian but....on sale at O Reilley right now. Buy two, get one free....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2011, 6:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

thanks for the replies

Dadiocool59 & H96669 - Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Regarding the tires, the front is 8+ years old; probably old enough to warrant replacement. The rear tire was replaced 6 years ago. I will check both for rot and cracking. I will give all your suggestions a try and report back.

cheers,
Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2011, 6:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

some photos

I finally found some time to tear into the gas tank, and wasn't too pleased about what I found.

As many others have experienced, the fuel pump dampener has deteriorated and started to produce some "goo". The majority of this "goo" was found directly under the pump. The brown crud elsewhere in the tank may be mostly rust deposits. The nuts on the pump were heavily rusted, but I was able to turn them. While removing the pump, one of the clips broke on the plastic mounting plate. I spent a few hours cleaning the inside, and removed most of the gunk, but I need to go another round and get more out.

Prior to removing the fuel pump, I listened to it with the key on, and it makes "a sound", but I can't tell if its pumping gas or not. As these pumps are so dang expensive, and hard to find, I'm hoping I can just replace the rubber dampener and plastic mounting plate. Is there a good way to test this?

Worse is the condition of the fuel level sensor and arm; they are heavily rusted. Could I removed the rusted arm and switch and temporarily put the switch base plate back in, until I can find a replacement?

There is a tube descending from the top of the tank, but I don't think anything was connected to it. I'm not sure what it is, but hope someone can clue me in.

Other posts mentioned two overflow tubes under the tank. I have those, but they weren't connected to anything. Instead, they appear to deposit potential overflow into the "catch" mounted in the frame. BTW, this K75 had the "low seat" set up, and maybe those models deviate from others regarding these tubes.

Lastly, there are two hoses that appear to need replacement. I think one is a "breather" hose, but I don't know what the other one is. If someone could clarify what they are and how to replace them, I'd be grateful.

Any advice/suggestions on how to proceed with this would be great.
cheers,
Dave

Last edited by davidp158; Jul 6th, 2011 at 6:56 pm.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2011, 8:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I want to add that the mesh "strainer" that attaches to the bottom of the fuel pump also needs to be replaced. One end of it was open, but that may have happened as I was removing the pump.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2011, 11:40 pm
Veteran

A lot of them Bosch Fuel Management parts are here:
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category_s/60.htm

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2011, 1:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the link to Euro Moto Electrics. They have pump and mounting bits, including after market pumps for much le$$ than the OEB BMW parts. I am still looking for the fuel level sensor contraption...

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
A lot of them Bosch Fuel Management parts are here:
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category_s/60.htm
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 4:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K75 update

Thanks again to all who responded to my original post. Here's an update of what I've done to date:

• Cleaned out the tank - rubbing alcohol seems to work well, and I was careful to flush it out and dry thoroughly.
• Replaced internal components - (new parts) pump, mounting clip, rubber damper, "sock" pump filter, fuel line filter, fuel line hoses and (used part) the fuel level sensor contraption.
• New crankcase breather hose, spark plugs, battery, oil & filter

I have a set of tires coming, and will get them installed this week. The bike starts up and runs, but I've only driven it around the block a few times (felt good), as the tires are old and likely not very safe.

Q: Does anyone have "how to" info, links, or advice, about how to flush the brake fluid on a K75 without ABS?

Thanks in advance for your time. This forum has been a great help for me.

cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode