K1100RS heath and oil cooler ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2011, 5:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1100RS heath and oil cooler ?

Hello all
I bought this summer a K1100RS with only 76000km in the meter. I got it so cheap that I'm willing to use some $$ to make it still better. Do not understand me wrong. I'm not looking for more power and speed nor shiny gadgets. Just make some small modifications.

Nice bike, but has three annoying things:

1. The handlebars are vibrating. I heard that using lighter weights in the end on the bars will help. The footpegs don't vibrate as in the K100 of my friend. Let's see what happends, when I first find how to get the weights out.

2. The motor makes annoying knocking noise while it is cool. I was told it might be that the rivets of a certain pinion might be getting loose. Lets see, I'm getting the bike to a doctor in three weeks.

3. The heath. I have run only some suburban runs with the bike without revving. Still it blows large amounts of hot air on my shoes and the tank gets hot.
I have read about the '3-core' radiators, but I'd try other methods first. Of course if some gets in to my hand with a right price....
- Is there any other make of a radiator, which can be used ?
- Is there any way to add an oil cooler to the bike ? I have somehow understood that there is a cooler in some models of K1200
- Would it help if I'd add a flat 10" fan in front of the radiator and make an appropriate switch for it ?
- The original fan is rather small. Is it the best model there is for this bike ? Or can we somehow install two fans there ?

To cool the tank there has been messages about using a small oil cooler in the return line.
A meter of 6 mm brake tube twisted around a 30 mm core or a flat spiral or a plane makes a rather good cooler. Pearls in both ends make the fit tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2011, 1:33 pm
Veteran

You can most probably fit an oil cooler from a K1200 but you need the part (Oil cooler housing) that sits between the Oil/Water pump and engine block where the hoses attach. And then hoses may\will have to be custom made depending on the oil cooler location. I doubt you could take K1200 hoses and make that fit easy, but for a short rubber piece they are mostly rigid tubing.

Before you spend too much money....wait because if you are thinking the same rivets I am, you may get a pretty good doctor's bill for that one. You can take the crank cover off and see them a little.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2011, 3:08 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
You can most probably fit an oil cooler from a K1200 but you need the part (Oil cooler housing) that sits between the Oil/Water pump and engine block where the hoses attach. And then hoses may\will have to be custom made depending on the oil cooler location. I doubt you could take K1200 hoses and make that fit easy, but for a short rubber piece they are mostly rigid tubing.

Before you spend too much money....wait because if you are thinking the same rivets I am, you may get a pretty good doctor's bill for that one. You can take the crank cover off and see them a little.
So you mean it is possible to add a block to the system to get the oil lines external ?
I have not yet opened the fairings of the bike to see how the pums are sittuated.
The tubes will be no problem. I have some good friends with a full machine shop and I think they can help here.

What do you mean by 'wait' ?
The doctor told me without seeing the bike that he believes the sound comes from 'the end of the crankshaft there is a pinion with a moving part, which is made to lessen the noises of the bike.' If it is so, it might be (I think) possible to repair it if he takes the crank cover off and then the crank off without removing the pistons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2011, 9:53 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistofeles
So you mean it is possible to add a block to the system to get the oil lines external ?
I have not yet opened the fairings of the bike to see how the pums are sittuated.
The tubes will be no problem. I have some good friends with a full machine shop and I think they can help here.

What do you mean by 'wait' ?
The doctor told me without seeing the bike that he believes the sound comes from 'the end of the crankshaft there is a pinion with a moving part, which is made to lessen the noises of the bike.' If it is so, it might be (I think) possible to repair it if he takes the crank cover off and then the crank off without removing the pistons.
I am pretty sure them rivets are the ones on the "output balancer", you can see them through the crank cover, but to remove/replace/repair the oil sump has to come off. Not that easy of a job. Don't know about your doctor's hourly rates....!

So what I mean is....don't spend all your money on add-ons until you get all the stock mechanical systems all working like they should,BMW OEM parts are getting very expensive.

For the oil cooler block, yes I am "almost" positive that would fit, they are the same engine block/oil pump, if all the clearances check out you should be OK. If you want to be even more positive, you can wait for me I'll be taking it out of the K1200RS, it may be seeping a little oil, so I guess I'll have to fix that but that won't be until the end of the year.

For the oil cooler radiator itself you could probably use any kind of good quality aftermarket, may be easier to mount and looks like you can get the plumbing figured out easy.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode