K1100RS will not start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2011, 3:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1100RS will not start

I'm new to the forum but have been riding K-bikes sense 1985, I'm currently working on a friends 1993 K1100RS. It is a low milage(12,402) bike but has not been run in several years. I have installed a new battery, cleaned the fuel tank, new fuel pump, but the bike will not start. It turns over fine and has a good spark, does not seem to be geting fuel. Is there some way to check the injectors. Thanks for any help, Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 3:58 am
Addict

Just a couple of general points as I don't have that model:

Can you hear the fuel pump running and priming?

After trying to start the bike and with the ignition off, there should be positive fuel pressure still remaining in the line on the flow side if you were to disconnect the hose joiner. (and release the ball valve if a QD fitting).

Is it possible to swap the tank hoses over and get the fuel flow and return reversed?

An engine stood that long will have dry bores and low compression for starting. Leave the bike overnight on the sidestand. After checking the fuel pump runs and delivers pressure to the fuel rail, remove all 4 plugs and pour a small amount of 'Upper cylinder lubricant' into each cylinder - not sure what you call it now, but it used to be called Redex. Still on the sidestand, crank the motor over a few times with the plugs out to disperse oil in the cylinder bores.

Heat up all 4 spark plugs on a gas stove to burn off any old oil gum residue and put them back hot. Connect up the ignition leads and try again.

Good Luck

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 10:34 am Thread Starter
Noob

The fuel pump seems to work properly, It comes on with the ignition, pumps up pressure and shuts off till the starter button is pushed, then it starts pumping again. Fuel is returning to to the tank thru the return hose. I have new plugs in the bike and when removed it has good spark. But they are dry, no fuel. So I don't think the injectors are working. Not sure how to check them or the signal to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 5:53 am
Addict

I first I thought injector problems were unlikely as they don't usually give trouble. But somebody had a bike standing a long time and had injectors stuck/gummed up. Assuming you have eliminated everything else first: The steps are 1. check there is a changing voltage on the injector wires and 2. Check the injectors off the bike with a battery.

You can check the injectors are getting a signal with an oscilloscope. One side of the injector is the 12 volt permanent, the other will be 12 volts, then changing to 0 volts when it is fired. If you can check which wire is the permanent 12 volts you could try a small 12 volt led connected across the injector the right polarity and see if it flashes (probably dimly) when you crank. Be careful not to short wires out as they go right back to the ECU! If you are getting no injector firing pulses but seeing sparks, something is probably very wrong back at the ECU.

To check the injectors themselves, you can remove the whole set and connect each in turn to a battery and listen for a 'click', I have read some have put an airline or cycle pump on the end to get some spray out. You could also try leaving them immersed overnight in brake cleaner, then flash a battery on and off a dozen times to each to free them if stuck.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 2:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I pulled the injectors and one of them was stuck and that messed the signal up to the other injectors. I got the stuck injector freed up using a battery and a set of test leeds. The bike started and was running, but one of the o-rings on the injector was leaking so I'm waiting on new o-rings to continue. When it did start it was smoking a lot, I hope that clears up once I can leave it run a while. Thanks for your help so far, Tom
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2011, 5:03 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortonman
When it did start it was smoking a lot, I hope that clears up once I can leave it run a while. Thanks for your help so far, Tom
It'll clear up. "They all do that". You can minimize it by parking it on the center stand, and for those other occasions where the side stand is used, lean the bike to the right for about 30 seconds, and the amount of smoke will be a lot less (if at all).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2011, 7:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Installed the o-rings and bike seems to be running fine, smoke has cleared up. Rode 150 miles and the bike runs good. It is not as smooth as my K1200 GT. Seems a little rough around 63 but smooth up again around 67. I think this is probably normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode