K1 Low speed handling - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 10:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1 Low speed handling

I have just fully restored a 1993 K1 after 2 years, which has new progressive front springs, new rear RAM shock, serviced / retightened head bearings, overhauled steering damper, but the low speed handling is appauling and inspire zero confidence.

The tyres are in good condition and were replaced by the previous over. The tyres are a Metzler Roadtech Z6 on the front and Bridgestone Battlax BT021R on the rear.

Is the low speed handling a trait of the K!?

or does anyone have a recommendations? especially for a brand/model of excellent handling tyres (I don't really care about tyre life/wear).

Many thanks Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Noob

Hi Aloader,

I have had a number of long abandoned K100's and have had the front end off 3 of them, specificaly because the headstem bearings have siezed from years of non use.

You cannot expect to get the tension on the bearing right first time when you reassemble.
It always takes road testing and adjustments over a few days...
You are describing what sounds like an overtight bearing situation. I can't see how any of the other improvements would affect it this way.

It's not easy but you should be able to get to the lock nut (30mm)without disconnecting the brake line ( as you would with a k100 anyway) Ease it back, and wind the adjuster wheel back a pinch to take a little tension off those bearings. It would be reasonable to loosen the fork leg pinch bolts (upper) to allow free movement of the component while you change the bearing tension - then retighten them of course when you have compeleted your adjustment

You soon know when it's too loose, it chatters...

Good luck

Last edited by David56; Aug 21st, 2011 at 3:03 am.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 1:12 pm
Noob

Alex

Yes...I've had 2 and still have one. Turning radius is large and with being top heavy...low seed turning is challenging.
But the bike is worth the challenge

Bob Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 7:15 am
sup
Noob

K 1 low speed handling problem

Alex, have You finaly solved the problem? I am curious, because a few years ago my K 75 worried me in the similar way. Franta.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 7:11 am
Noob

i have that issue on my 2011 K1300GT. It is especially noticeable just when rolling to a stop. It wants to lurch to one side or the other, and weaves below 30 kmh. I am told it is a ball joint, and replacing it requires removing and dismantling the entire front end, plus radiator, body panels, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode