2008 K1200gt - just dead! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2011, 9:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

2008 K1200gt - just dead!

Help anyone.. My 2008 K1200GT just went electronically dead (right after the warranty expired!!) One day last week I got on it in the garage and turned on the ignition, and everything lit up just fine. Turned it off and back out of the garage to go riding. In the few seconds it took to get backed out, I tried to start it and when I turned the ignition - nothing. No lights, no display, nothing.
Thought bad battery, bought a new one and put it in and attached the positive lead first and as I touched the negative lead to the battery the display came to life for a few seconds and then out!
After attaching the battery permanently - nothing and I know the battery is good (13.5v disconnected after initial charge).
I have no way to get the bike to the dealer for a diagnostic session.. any hints / thoughts? I am thinking something in the Can can system is shorted or pulling the system down?

Boggsy64
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2011, 9:33 am
Addict

What position are the bars in when it fails to start/no lights? The reason I ask is that it sounds real similar to what mine did to me. There is a wire that runs up to the ignition switch that seems to control all the electrical. In my case, if I cocked the bars right, it would not start and I had no power. If I straightened the bars, it would work. Turn the bars while it was running and it would die. I had a break in the wire causing the problem. The wire comes up and plugs into the ignition switch. I guess the zip tie was too tight and didn't allow the wire to flex enough and finally after turning the bars so much it just broke.

Hope that helps.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2011, 11:57 am

I am guessing the electronc ring around the key that controls the whole bike...Has your bike had the recall for the switch? Depending on how long your out of warranty, bmw might be good for the repair, if thats the problem...sounds like it could be though..

kbikeinbc

07Kgt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2011, 5:57 pm
Enthusiast

Check that ignition wire that runs from the key switch. I had a problem that when I turned the handlebars just right the bike electronics would stop working (dead). I had the bike only 2 weeks, I could have saved lots of time and money in travel expenses if I had known better. Only $20 for that stupid wire back in 08.

2007 Bmw k1200GT (My Vroom Bike)
1995 BMW k1100lt (Sold) (My mini-bus)
1998 BMW k1200rs Taxi (Sold) (Didn't get to say goodbye)
1986 BMW k100rt (My classic and first, Restore in Progress)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2011, 12:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the input

I wish I would have checked here again before I had the dealer trailer it back. I don't know what they found but if this is an ignition wire issue that is pretty scary!! It sound very likely and I did not move the bars back and forth much as it was on center stand during my new battery installation and testing.
I have to wait and see what they find and BMW said they might cover the repair (depending on what they find......)!
What the heck would happen if you are tooling down the road and just turn the wrong way and break the connection..??!! I am sure bad things!
I will let you know what I find out from them. I also suspected the key electronics / detection / verification but had no way to test.

Later,
Boggsy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2011, 12:07 pm

...Keep us posted!

kbikeinbc
07kgt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2011, 12:32 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggsy64
What the heck would happen if you are tooling down the road and just turn the wrong way and break the connection..??!! I am sure bad things!

Boggsy
The bike just dies. And in my case since I have the power assist brakes, I have to squeeze really hard on the brakes to stop!

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2011, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

How many times?

DWSDAD,
Has this happened to you more than the first time (the wire breaking?). I would think this would be all over the websites as a serious caution or large lawsuit against BMW! I would really be an unhappy camper if this turns out to be the problem with my bike and especially if it happened more than once!

Boggsy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2011, 3:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Shop found the problem

Just talked to the shop and they found the problem. Appearently the ignition assembly is two pieces and the bottom half had come undone from the top half. They appearently just clicked it back together and everything is good to go.
Now why did it come apart?, they had no thoughts on that, and BMW (according to the shop supervisor) would not cover this anyway as it was just a "loose connection". Only out $155 and hope this doesn't come apart again, and preferably not when I am on the road!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2011, 6:27 pm

I would be giving a call to BMW North America on this one. Talk about a liability issue, and the dealer blows it off?
Not good enough!
And to add insult to the situation they charge you 155 bucks? How could this possably be your problem and not something that BMW or the dealer during assembly could have missed?.

.Somebody higher up should be getting an earful!

kbikeinbc
07 Kgt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode