Those Pesky K12RS Exhaust Studs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Question Those Pesky K12RS Exhaust Studs

7 of the 8 exhaust studs came out with the nuts when I removed my exhaust. I luckily was able to get the last one out. I have replacements, but I am not sure how to secure the studs in the head - high temp Loctite? If so, what temp range? They must be a higher torque than the nuts, but haven't checked.

I can't see how never seize will prevent the nuts and studs from 'seizing' with the amount of rust on them.

Velomaxx
97 Bakker Dakar K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Addict

There were several posts on this in the old forum. Mine are all rusty and I'm not looking too hard until I need to strip something down.

I've worked on cages where the set pins were steel, BUT the exhaust nuts were copper. I've seen them in a lock version where the top couple of threads are crushed after torqueing down. Don't know if this is worth looking into. When the nut is siezed, it's always useful to know you can get the stud out of the head. Usually it's coarse thread into aluminium, fine to get the torque on the nut. I wouldn't recommend replacing a siezed stud and nut then torqueing down into the head. You don't want to be messing with Helicoil inserts.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Hey Vox,

I am sure I misunderstand: you do not recommend replacing a seized stud and nut? I don't plan on reinstalling them. I assume you mean do not reuse a frozen stud/nut to torque to spec into the head, and I will not. You are right, I want to avoid helicoil.

Velomaxx
97 Bakker Dakar K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 3:06 am
Addict

Right on Velo, Before I need to do mine which look pretty rust encrusted, mainly the nuts, I'll be looking into copper nuts or even stainless with anti-sieze. Personally I'd avoid Loctite if I thought I'd need to get the studs out. If you Loctite a stud threaded into aluminium, you risk stripping the thread getting it out, since most Loctites will have broken down and clogged the the treads with the high temperature. Cheers - vox.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:24 am

I just took mine off last week (the exhaust system).
I sprayed them down with PB Blaster penetrating oil and let them sit overnight before trying anything. The nuts came off with very little effort.
The original nuts (I'm assuming original) were copper and were in excellent shape so I reused them. I still have the copper nuts that I bought at the local BMW shop just in case I needed to replace them so if any one wants them I'll send them to you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Question reinstalling stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velomaxx
I assume you mean do not reuse a frozen stud/nut to torque to spec into the head
Dumb question: so if you buy replacement studs and nuts, or say you are able to "unfreeze" and separate them, how do you reinstall just the stud? In other words, what tool does one use to tighten it into the head?

TIA
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:34 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by detour
Dumb question: so if you buy replacement studs and nuts, or say you are able to "unfreeze" and separate them, how do you reinstall just the stud? In other words, what tool does one use to tighten it into the head?

TIA
You could double nut the stud.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 5:52 pm
Enthusiast

How about just buying some new studs and nuts to go back in? My invoice from service shows they were only 30 cents each.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:00 pm

the question was ...

Wildbeast, the question was ...

How do you screw in and tighten the stud into the head?

And lee offered a great suggestion. (Why didn't I think of that? :o )
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

I have new ones, I'm guessing two nuts threaded against each other will permit me to install them, unless I hear differently.

Mine are so rusted there is no way they can be reused, and while not 30 cents, they are cheap enough to replace.

Velomaxx
97 Bakker Dakar K1200RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode