BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Clutch Plate religning?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  voxmagna 
#1 ·
Has anyone out there ever had their clutch plate religned? In South Africa they want a small fortune for a new clutch kit for the K. Someone suggested to me that I should try having the plate religned but it is alot of work to find out that it does not work. I have tried beemerboneyard.com but so far I have had no luck with regards to a second hand clutch.They have some very good deals on their site. There a couple of second hand clutchs on e-bay which I will look at if all else fails.I am not in any hurry at present but would like to get the girl back on the road in the near future.Safe riding out there.

#2 · (Edited)
You might be able to do better than the oem by getting the old disc relined. I say that because one thing that annoys me about the KRS clutch disc, is they made it the old fashioned way with rivets which means it has very little to go from the stock thickness before you replace it. If you can have the friction material professionally bonded on, it might work and give you more friction material to wear out.

When you took the old clutch apart a lot of what you need to do depends on its condition. If the bike had lowish miles in the 40K and the clutch friction plate was either contaminated with oil and just slipping and the plate was NOT down to the rivets you are probably OK to go with just the disc, new oil seals and a clutch slave. However, if you totalled the plates and they are all blue, burned up and probably distorted, you are in for a few more parts. A clue on the plates distortion is whether the clutch dragged or not before you took it apart. If you could pull the lever just a short distance to disengage the drive without drag your plates are probably running true. If you were pulling the lever right back to the bars and having trouble shifting - the whole lot is probably toast.

I replaced the disc on mine about 5 years ago and picked up a new oem off Fleabay for around £50. The oem plate new is now about $203 from Realoem. You can probably do better by shopping around. If you get a secondhand clutch assembly, you should still consider replacing the disc with new as there is hardly any friction material on there to start with.

Now that you have torn into the clutch and found out how much work and pain is involved, you do not want to take too many chances and have to do it all over again!

Here you go: clutch disc from Motobins uk £58 + tax. That's got to be pretty fair dinkum!

http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=K Series

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.