Engine misfire - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2011, 4:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Engine misfire

I own an 05 K1200LT with 40k miles. I've been riding in heavy rain for the last week. I'm not sure that the rain had anything to do with the problem on my bike. Riding home last night I heard a high pitched buzzing sound. The pitch did not change with engine rpm. Also, I noticed that the engine had lost some power. It needed more throttle for normal acceleration from a stop. When I got home I noticed that the engine was running on 3 cylinders. The idle was very rough.The next day I pulled the plugs. The plug color was normal and not wet. After running the engine for 30 seconds I noticed that the # 3 exhaust pipe was cold. I swapped plug locations and it didn't help. I checked for ignition spark on #3 plug and there was plenty. I assume that the #3 cylinder is not getting fuel. The logical conclusion is a bad injector, but I can't connect a bad injector to the new noise I heard . Any Ideas what might be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Looking for better limits...

I'd fix the firing on #3 first, and see if that noise goes away. Can't explain the noise myself, but it may turn out to be irrelevant once the bike's running on all cylinders. Try some Sea Foam or Techron for cleaning the fuel system.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 8:19 am
Addict

I hate to keep repeating myself but this sounds like a bad coil to me.

I had two coils fail within a month on my 06 K12S when I owned it, at 40k miles.

the heat out west probably caused early failure but who knows for sure.

its a sizeable, expensive job (the coils alone are about 115 each, but replace them all if they to the job due to the expense of accessing the coils). I know, I had one fail, had it fixed, a month later another one failed! DOH! the 2nd time, I told them to replace the remaining 3.

when that bike hit 80k miles, I had all the coils replaced during the service to avoid problems and expense.

I bet that is your problem from the sounds of it. If so, be careful, the pipe may overheat and also cause O2 sensor problems due to the excessive heat (my pipe was cherry red inside with a failed coil) if you keep riding it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 9:37 am
Addict

Doh! its early...I noticed you said the LT, not the KS, sorry about that, its too early I guess ....

I had an 02 KLT, bought new, 135k miles when i totalled it a couple years back.

Never had a coil problem on the LT and I'm not as familiar with the machine internals as the KS, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I did have driveability issues, ie a miss for awhile on the LT, but at 40k miles that bike seemed to cross the 'break-in' threshold and ran better than ever with higher miles on the bike. Gas quality or the lack thereof, seemed to be more of an issue on the LT regarding missing, etc.

Still, sounds like a coil to me since you've appeared to eliminate other possible issues

let us know what you find...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 11:26 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer_boy
The logical conclusion is a bad injector, but I can't connect a bad
injector to the new noise I heard . Any Ideas what might be wrong?
And nobody said Fuel Pump and the associated problems from just maybe fuel contaminated with rain water, plugged filter or the pump itself falling apart. Water in the fuel will most probably swell the filter media then the pump will make noises at high pitch.

Then from not getting fuel to cool/lube it the impeller may start to disintegrate, just what happened on my VW Rabbit.

From a couple simple tests I did on the fuel filter media, certainly looks like it swells in water but I'd need a microscope to be sure.

Then could any bits & pieces find their way into an injector and plug it, I think so.

But just talking off the top of my head here, had to go look all that up, on contamination and fuel pumps in bits & pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzEeWy1b3o

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 7:36 pm
Rookie

Another resource

There's another forum--bmwlt.com--that has a focus on the K12LT bike. I'd raise your issue there as well.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode