Servicing Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 4:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Servicing Question

Just a quick servicing related question, I hope somebody on here will be able to assist me with this little enquiry of mine.

As mentioned in my introduction Iím looking at getting one of three bikes {K1300R/K1300S} or even a {K1600GT} ďnot sure which year as of yetĒ and I am interested in hearing other peopleís views on this little question of mine regarding servicing.

Is it just me or does it seem like a bit of a money throwing exercise getting the bike serviced at the dealerships {I have got nothing against any dealership whatsoever} I just think I could save the extra cash and do the servicing myself {using bmw parts of course}, after all Iíve got everything I need sitting in my garage.

Iíll get to the point now.

I understand if the bike {whichever it turns out to be} has got any remaining warranty left it would probably be a good idea to get it serviced via the dealership to maintain that after sales support provided.

I am also interested in finding out of doing it yourself will put people of buying your bike of you {bearing in mind that I am actually quite anal about keeping records, so I will of course be keeping an in depth record of any work done on the bike}.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2011, 6:39 am
Addict

If you buy the oem and Clymer manuals you will learn a lot about your bike and when you do something yourself you will know it has been done.

If you rely 100% on the shop for service and haven't got the extra knowledge of what goes on 'under the hood', you are always on the back foot when it comes to negotiating with the dealer on problems and repair prices. A problem needing work may not get looked at and repaired until the next scheduled dealer service visit. That means you could be doing more expensive damage than if you had picked up something early and done something about it.

By doing the simple things first like routine service, you learn how to take off the plastics, where all the bike parts are located around the bike and what they do.

I have my own spreadsheet for all work I do on the bike. Even if I spend an hour adding a farkle I make an entry. If I was buying a bike from somebody with that amount of detail, I would have more confidence in it than a stamp on the record from a dealer. A lot depends on how new the bike is. I think for the first 3 years at least from new I would get the dealer stamps. After that the bike's resell price has dropped a lot and I would use my own records. Also by returning a bike so new to a dealer you keep up to date on any recalls. But you can go into any genuine BMW dealer with your bike VIN and they will tell you if the bike has any outstanding recall work to do.

There was a time when manufacturers forced owners to have their franchise shops do regular service and fit oem parts, else they would void warranties. In UK that practice was stopped as being unfair and uncompetitive. Even with a new bike under warranty, you could fit non-oem parts like filters and oil, as long as you could argue they were compatible. Since most aftermarket parts and fluids here are sold meeting EU vehicle standards, you should be OK. As far as the services go, clearly you would have to show the work was competent, done according to the BMW schedule and not the cause of a serious failure in a warranty claim. Personally I would run with the dealer services up to 3 years of age or when any extended dealer warranty runs out, then do my own. It doesn't stop you getting the books, opening up the plastics and learning though.

It's not always the impression you get from a dealer, but it is your bike not theirs, you own and ride it not BMW and you can make your own mind up.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode