How much weight is too much to balance? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2012, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

How much weight is too much to balance?

Santa brought me a No-Mar Tire Changer for Christmas and I bought a balancer from Marc Parnes to be able to mount and balance tires at my convenience. They both work great but it seemed that it required more weight than I thought to balance the tires. Pirelli and Michelins... on the K75 and R100S

So how much weight is average?

Can there ever be a tire that is too out-of-balance requiring too much balancing weight?

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2012, 5:43 am

Well, how much is too much? How long is a string, and a bad year?
Actually, BMW specifies a maximum weight, FWIW. On my K13 the numbers are 80g for each wheel.

I also do the tire change and balancing my self (dynabeads ).

We,(as in a friend of mine and yours truly) have been playing around with the balancing part. We tried to balance the rim only (before mounting tire) and I learned that my rim, with TPM actually needed 44g to be in balance.
With the rim in balance (the weights were taped on) we mounted the tire and now we were able to find and mark the heavy spot on the tire.
Then we deflated the tire and rotated it on the rim to counterbalance the rim.
On the first attempt, this way we ended up with only 5g of weights. (meaning the tire was 39g out of balance)
Playing with numbers, this means that in worse case, we might have needed 83g of weights. This also means that the prescribed 1oz that Dynabeads prescribe for my bike would not be enough.

So now I always find the heaviest spot on tire and counterbalance the tire against the rim before adding the dynabeads.
Time consuming, but works great.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2012, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutk
Well, how much is too much? How long is a string, and a bad year?
Actually, BMW specifies a maximum weight, FWIW. On my K13 the numbers are 80g for each wheel.

I also do the tire change and balancing my self (dynabeads ).

We,(as in a friend of mine and yours truly) have been playing around with the balancing part. We tried to balance the rim only (before mounting tire) and I learned that my rim, with TPM actually needed 44g to be in balance.
With the rim in balance (the weights were taped on) we mounted the tire and now we were able to find and mark the heavy spot on the tire.
Then we deflated the tire and rotated it on the rim to counterbalance the rim.
On the first attempt, this way we ended up with only 5g of weights. (meaning the tire was 39g out of balance)
Playing with numbers, this means that in worse case, we might have needed 83g of weights. This also means that the prescribed 1oz that Dynabeads prescribe for my bike would not be enough.

So now I always find the heaviest spot on tire and counterbalance the tire against the rim before adding the dynabeads.
Time consuming, but works great.

OK thanks.

Sounds like the 80g I had to put on the rear of my K75 is not out-of-line. I just seems like a lot of weight.

I did the same thing with my wheels sans tire to mark the light spot but did not go the full route to see what it would take to balance the wheel itself. Next time...

Dynabeads... not wishing to start any flame war here, I am aware that many see them as snake oil. They must work for you.

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokester
Dynabeads... not wishing to start any flame war here, I am aware that many see them as snake oil. They must work for you.
Like you say, the Dynabeads have been debated to death.

The principal as such for how they work are simple enough. However, the beads are very sensitive to contamination, so during mounting of the tire you have to go easy on the lubrication.
When I started out using them, I did so along with a friend of mine. While I'm still using them (with success) he finds it to be too much of a hassle and has returned to using weights.
Really, for all practical purpose, the only gain is that there are no visible weights on the rim.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2012, 8:59 am

Metzler says.....

I mounted a Marathon on the back of my LT and it took about 80 grams to balance it.

I wrote to Metzler and they stated that their tolerance was 80g so I'm right at the limit.

Check with your tire manufacturer.

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode