Oil level check - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:46 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Oil level check

greetings,

Having recently purchased a K-bike, I performed a search of the archives as best I could (I still have dialup, unfortunately) before posting this but was unable to find the details I was looking for. What I need to know, is if the oil level check (especially in the morning before roaring off) is to be performed cold, or after the engine has been run for a few minutes.

I'd prefer not to have to guess, as I usually guess wrong. :o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:17 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Smile oil level check

Either cold and on the center stand or allow a just run engine to sit for a 5 minutes or so and check then. Still on the center stand. It takes a minute or two for the oil to run back down after running the motor.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 1:18 am
Looking for better limits...

Also, within the circle is good. The "dot" in the middle is a reference, but not the ideal, just having the oil within the circle is ideal. Too much or too little (outside the circle) is not good. I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong, that the distance between the bottom of the circle and the top is a ½ liter. Could also be that between the dot and the top/bottom of the circle is a ½ liter, making the full circle 1 liter.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:28 am
Addict

Those levels are what I believe to be correct. My sight glass is looking a bit dark now. If the oil is near the top of the glass it's difficult to know if there's oil in or non at all. I think I'll change the glass at the next service. Sometimes I dip a short wire through the top filler cap just to make sure of the level.

I know precise oil level always generate much interest and it's one of those things to easy get worked up about as we are provided with a sight glass. But due to variables, hot/cold/stand/level/not level, oil held in filter/oil held in valve covers etc - is very imprecise.

There's plenty of oil to lubricate the motor, even below the sight glass. I don't worry about precision as long as I see oil in the glass and it's not higher. I prefer to start higher than centre on an oilchange. I'm fortunate I see very little change between 6K service points, If and when it starts to change I'll wonder where oil is going.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jan 19th, 2006 at 4:42 am. Reason: addition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode