Slipper Clutch - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2006, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Slipper Clutch

Has anyone found a Slipper clutch for the K1200RS/GT ? 1997-2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:50 am

You capitalized Slipper, so is that a brand name?

If not, and you meant slipper clutch, as in unable to grip, why would you want your clutch to slip? The object of the game is to get the power to the ground as soon as possible. Slipping clutches create heat and heat isn't good for the clutch, the pressure plate or the flywheel.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2006, 11:45 am

Jay,
Slipper clutches are installed on superbike-class machines to allow agressive engine braking while racing. They don't have any affect on a postive torque (acceleration) situation, only on negative torque.

To the original question, I don't know of any aftermarket slipper clutches for dry clutch bikes, let alone the GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:44 pm
Addict

They sound like they could put up mpg on a road bike, but at the expense of brake pad wear on the heavy K. I guess throttle rolloffs must feel strange at first.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2006, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner
Jay,
Slipper clutches are installed on superbike-class machines to allow agressive engine braking while racing. They don't have any affect on a postive torque (acceleration) situation, only on negative torque.

To the original question, I don't know of any aftermarket slipper clutches for dry clutch bikes, let alone the GT.
How about Duc's? They use a dry clutch and theiir racing bikes have slippers - do any civilian 999's have slippers?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2006, 6:48 pm

There are several expensive slipper clutch units for Ducati. A lot of guys put them on their street bikes, me included.

I must admit, they rarely come into use on the street. I guess there might be a time when the rear wheel may lose traction on a properly executed downshift.

The purpose of a slipper is so that your rear wheel doesn't lock up when banging down hard through the gears entering a corner on the track. Street riding is more civilized than this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 5:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8r
The purpose of a slipper is so that your rear wheel doesn't lock up when banging down hard through the gears entering a corner on the track. Street riding is more civilized than this.
True enuf, but it would be so nice to skip the track excitement of having the rear slide when pushing a braking mark and downshifting at the same time. That can really exercise the sphincter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2007, 4:01 pm
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclarkson
True enuf, but it would be so nice to skip the track excitement of having the rear slide when pushing a braking mark and downshifting at the same time. That can really exercise the sphincter.
Slipper clutch?? Phooey. I you wanna be cool, forget that and get slipper BRAKES instead! Talk about exercising the sphincter...

David
'06 K12S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode