tumbler broken in gas cap! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2013, 6:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy tumbler broken in gas cap!

Went to fill my 87 k75 for the first time and the gas cap will not open..

i saw the previous owner open it the day i purchased it (a week ago). so, i know it opened then. however when i put the key in the cap it just spins and spins either direction i turn it.
That leads me to believe that the lock itself is broken,
when i pull out the key slightly it seems to ingage the tumblers better however it does not pop the cap open.
I have tried prying on the cap while turning the key and that has not helped..

i've read articles about how some people putting a heat gun and graphite to the lock to get it to open. will this help in my situation?
how can i get my gas cap open?
How can i get the locking mechanism out of the tank/cap to replace it?
Any advice, tips or direction would be greatly appreciated.

For now i am unable to ride due to the fact that i cannot fill it with gas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2013, 3:40 am

Most probably it's the plastic piece underneath the lock barrel that is worn out.
Have a look at this link.

Inge K.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2013, 7:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

thank you,
the link you posted was very helpful. i now understand what the problem was.
however i now have a new problem.

i broke the cap off and about have of what was shown in your link is now in my gas tank.

ive removed the tank and am looking at ways to get all the debris out of the tank.

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2013, 11:24 am
Veteran

If no flammables left in there, shopvac with a piece of hose to reach in there. Altough they sell a nifty little kit of brushes/hoses and pick up thingies that adapts to most shopvacs.

Bigger pieces that you can see, one of them 3 prongs/claws flexible pickup tools???

But then you can always turn it upside down and shake the.....out of it. Shake enough and eventually things come out of there.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2013, 9:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

thanks for the reply,
shook the shook out of it, if you know what i'm saying. Most all of the stuff came out. the few other bits i just reached in there and grabbed. the only stuff left in there is some grime and silicon sealer the previous owner used to seal the gas cap assembly. However im unable to use a shop/vac because i'm not able to get all the fuel out.
After some research and finding out it can be rinsed out with water. I realized i can't even get all the fuel out. i'm going to try rinsing the crud out with a little more gas. seams kind of ridiculous using fuel as a rinsing agent, but ill have the piece of mind knowing there's now water in the tank.

while i have the tank off and am waiting for my replacement fuel filler cap, I've decided to replace the fuel filter and fuel lines.

any advice, warnings, or tips would be appreciated. thank you
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2013, 4:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethek75
I've decided to replace the fuel filter and fuel lines.

any advice, warnings, or tips would be appreciated. thank you
Use submersible fuel lines inside the tank, SAE 30R10.

Inge K.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2013, 1:39 pm
Veteran

You may need some Methyl Hydrate (Methanol) to flush that tank. Any good hardware store should have that but wear gloves, not good absorbed through skin that the Methanol. May take a little while for it to release the silicone but should work. I have some rubber parts treated like that in my test jar...I'll look later.

Sure it is silicone??? If blue and a little sticky could be Hylomar,not much will touch and clean that. Long soak in Methanol maybe....again I should look at my tests.

If silicone I'd be weary, some aren't "sensor safe". Doesn't take much of that to pollute an O2 sensor if so equipped. And in any case none of them silicones are fuel proof, bad choice around fuel systems.Fuel resistant maybe once dried and outside of the system, but sure not so when exposed to gasoline.

Getting rid of the gas or water.....stick paper towels in there,long lenght keeping one end out. Should wick everything out.

I think Gates now has hose that will do both, in or out of the gasoline. Came upon that not long ago. If not make sure you get Spec 9 and 10.They don't interchange.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode