Alternate oil filter - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Alternate oil filter

For 20k miles I've used Bosch oil filters on my R-bike at about 1/3 the cost. There are many other filters available too. Apparently these all fit the K12 also but they are painted. BMW filters arean't painted. Since the oil filter on the K bikes is flooded on the outside too, there is some concern that the paint might either come off or contaminate the oil. Anybody out there using an alternate filter? Any thoughts on using a painted filter? thanks, Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Bosch filters are supposed to be real good - is there some sorta cross-reference out there somewhere?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

The bosch part number is 72161 and Kragen can order it for you. It went up from $4 to $5 each. The R-bike guys have a huge cross reference of alternate parts, many of which will fit on the K-bikes. I'll find it and post it later. --Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2006, 4:45 am
Addict

It's way back in time, but I remembered seeing a post that claimed the BMW stock filter has some sort of over pressure bypass built inside it, whereas many alternates don't. I think the poster had actually sawn filters apart! If anybody can remember this, please remind me. It's probably more important for regular starts in very cold climes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jan 26th, 2006 at 4:46 am. Reason: typo
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2006, 8:44 pm
Enthusiast

Interesting, and very possible. German technology. I do know that the Vokswagen Vanagon OEM filters have a valve inside. Replacements that don't will risk damage.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjohnny
Replacements that don't will risk damage.
Your statement is very strong. You sound like you know what you're talking about. Please explain. Are you talking about the antidrainback valve some filters have or the bypass valve that all filters have? --Jerry
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
It's way back in time, but I remembered seeing a post that claimed the BMW stock filter has some sort of over pressure bypass built inside it, whereas many alternates don't. I think the poster had actually sawn filters apart! If anybody can remember this, please remind me. It's probably more important for regular starts in very cold climes.
All filters have bypass valves at various pressures. Some have antidrainback valves but BMW doesn't need one because of the orientation. Here is the link you're thinking of:

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

Cheers,
Jerry
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2006, 5:01 am
Addict

When you start up a K12 on mornings below freezing and the engine oil is heavy, Does the motor have its own pressure relief valve to bypass the filter, or does it rely on what may be inside the filter and are we sure that all non-oems have it? If the bypass is in the motor before the filter back to the sump, this doesn't help because whilst oil pressure is maintained, it's going nowhere except returning to the sump until the motor warms up.

I can't see how orientation helps this situation.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2006, 9:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
When you start up a K12 on mornings below freezing and the engine oil is heavy, Does the motor have its own pressure relief valve to bypass the filter, or does it rely on what may be inside the filter and are we sure that all non-oems have it? If the bypass is in the motor before the filter back to the sump, this doesn't help because whilst oil pressure is maintained, it's going nowhere except returning to the sump until the motor warms up.

I can't see how orientation helps this situation.
You're mixing two different vavles. Orientation is important on a filter that is not mounted vertically like the BMW filter. BMW OEM filters do NOT have an antidrainback valve.

As for a bypass valve, what do you think would happen if you didn't have a bypass valve in the morning? You seem to be implying that the engine might be damaged. You are correct, it might, but not the way you are thinking. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump which means it will be pumping even if the discharge pressure goes up. I don't know if the K12 has an oil pressure regulator but even if it does, it is set at a very high pressure. The paper in your filter isn't going to hold back the pressure but it will probably hold back enough pressure to blow the rubber gasket (I've seen this happen on a pickup truck when the bypass filter failed closed). Then all the oil drains out and the engine will be damaged...ooops, the K12 has the filter in a chamber so even if your oil filter blows out, the engine won't be damaged.

I've never seen an oil filter without an integral bypass valve for when it it clogged or oil viscosity is high (this can be minimized by using the proper multiviscosity oil for your climate). If you know of one, please let me know.

Perhaps you're one of the guys who believes in always using OEM BMW parts. If you are, I don't want to change your mind. But I like looking at aftermarket parts, many of which are superior (eg, ohlins shocks) or cheaper (bosch oil filter). What I don't like is people who make skeptical posts, implying great damage to the bike if you don't worship the BMW gods at part purchasing time. I don't think that's what you were trying to do but I'll admit that perhaps I tend to over react.

Cheers, Jerry
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:12 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephejl
Your statement is very strong. You sound like you know what you're talking about. Please explain. Are you talking about the antidrainback valve some filters have or the bypass valve that all filters have? --Jerry

Sorry for the confusion, Jerry. My comment was intended as a comparison only. I was referring to the Volkswagen Vanagon filter (something I do know a little about) and meant that it was possible that the BMW filter had a similar characteristic. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Thanks. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode