Sticky Brake Switch - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 11:31 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Unhappy Sticky Brake Switch

The hand lever brake switch is sticking open (on) on my '03 GT (47,000 miles) causing the rear light to stay on and the servo to stay activated. I have to push the lever all the way back with the back of my fingers after every time I use the hand brake lever in order to turn the switch off. I removed the brake lever and sprayed good ol' WD40 into the housing where the switch is but to no avail. Also checked the archives and couldn't find much. Tried to figure out how to take the housing apart to clean or repair the switch and it looks like the fluid resevoir and housing over the lever mechanism is all one piece. I'll get some dry spray lube tomorrow and see if that works. Any ideas/suggestions/solutions beside paying $75/hour for the dealer to fix? Thanks!

Hang Up & Drive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 5:09 am
Addict

My K's older at '97, but I had a similar problem. Inside the lever assemblies they have a really small microswitch and unfortunately there is no adjustment in position. The microswitch is held on when the brake lever is at rest and they use the normally on contacts (which are off in this arrangement). This makes it failsafe but the switch button spends most of its time pushed down. You may find that the button has just got 'sticky'.

My problem was the brake lever pivot has a thin plastic liner which wears on one side. When this happens the microswitch button moves towards the relaxed (brake light on) position. Wobble and twist the brake lever back and forth to check for any wear on the pivot first.

I couldn't be bothered waiting for a BMW part, so I cut some plastic the right size off a washing up liquid bottle as a liner for the steel pivot pin and its been fine for nearly 2 years.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode