Blinker pod repair help needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:53 am Thread Starter

Question Blinker pod repair help needed

'01 K1200RS.

The 3 push on type fasteners that hold each pod to the frame are in need of replacement. I don't know what they are called, but someone once posted a repair proceedure with replacement fasteners. The dealer cannot get them and I have not been able to find a source for them. Any help with the name of the fastener (metal 'fingers' that grasp the stud) and where I can buy them would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 6:29 am
Enthusiast

I don't know of a source for the clip fasteners themselves. I bought an used scuffed pod and salvaged the clips by drilling out the rivets and re-rivetting to my pod. BTW, the best advice I ever got, you don't have to remove the pods to take the side fairing pieces off.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 6:54 am
Addict

i bought the whole base plate from dealer.40 bucks if I remember right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:12 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentboshart
I don't know of a source for the clip fasteners themselves. I bought an used scuffed pod and salvaged the clips by drilling out the rivets and re-rivetting to my pod. BTW, the best advice I ever got, you don't have to remove the pods to take the side fairing pieces off.
I thought there was a screw under the pod you needed to undo to remove the side fairing. What's the trick?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 4:02 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Flyer
I thought there was a screw under the pod you needed to undo to remove the side fairing.
Nope, there is not. Sides slip off with pods in place. If you are removing the front fairing/headlight assembly then the pods need to come off.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 4:41 pm
Addict

I fixed mine. You can't buy the baskets and clips separately, but you can get back plates and they aren't many $$'s. The bad news is that 2 baskets are on the cheap back plate and the third is on the more expensive whole pod assembly.

I was lucky that out of 6 baskets and clips on 2 pods, 1 basket and clip on each back plate was ok, so I drilled the rivets and replaced the broken baskets on the pod itself, making 3 good ones's on each pod.

These clips are a pain. If I'd had the time I'd have looked at making some U shaped brackets carrying a simple electrical grommet to push into the pegs, like the system they use to steady the 2 main plastics.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 8:59 pm
Throttle Jockey

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 4:11 pm
Rookie

I took a different route when I fixed mine, all 3 baskets on the throttle side were in poor order and the pod was in serious danger of detaching. The solution I found was to drill 2 small holes beween the rear most baskets, feed a zip tie through and secure to the inner fairing bracket.

Ok so this method is a bit cheap and nasty but the black zip tie is nearly impossible to see and there is no way the pod is falling off. In future I simply snip the tie to remove the pod.

Bigmadstu

97 BMW K1200RS ( Stock )
01 Aprilia RSVR ( Far from stock )
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 9:08 am
Addict

Yes, I think this method of support and fixing needs a clean sheet of paper and start over again to find a better alternative solution, after all its only a couple of plastic pods we're talkin about.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode