K1200gt smoke - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2013, 11:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200gt smoke

I purchased a 2004 gt about a month ago--was a trade-in from BMW dealer. Sat on center stand for about a month. Started it the other day and got billowing smoke for about 4 min, then started to dissipate. Smoke was white--almost like steam with no oil smell. Rode bike 40 miles with no smoke, then bike sat 2 hrs on centerstand. When starting, smoked again, but not as bad as before--dissipated after several minutes. This bike has only 9000 mi in 10 years. This is my first water-cooled bike--I'm assuming this isn't normal. Possibly seals /gaskets for coolant system dried out? How major could this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2013, 10:01 pm
Enthusiast

gonna take guess it is condensation as the catalyic converter comes up to temperature. These bikes have a rep for smoking if parked on sidestand, not a real problem

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I have the same bike.
These bikes do tend to smoke for a minute or so upon starting when on the sidestand. That is normal. However, you seem to have made a point of saying it was on the center stand.
Mine will smoke a little bit when on the center stand when not ridden for a while. (I have 3 bikes and switch around which one to ride).
Smoking for 4 minutes or so and smoking after riding a bit seems a bit extreme. Could be an issue, maybe it just needs to blow itself out a bit from having sat.
I would monitor and go from there.
If it stays the same, I'd think about getting it checked out.
If it gets worse, definitely get it checked out
If it gets somewhat better, I'd probably just ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2013, 5:23 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smoke Update

I talked to BMW dealer and they basically said what you all said. Starting with catalytic converter--tends to smoke until condensation dissipates. Bike sat for almost a month in cool wet climate (Puget Sound). Dealer said not to be concerned unless there is an anti-freeze smell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode