K1200RS Digital Display problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 4:14 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Angry K1200RS Digital Display problem

Hi
My 2002 K1200RS's Digital display (Clock/Gear indicator LCD) has simply packed up over the weekend and fails to display anything at all. Worked on last ride a week ago and just doesn't work at all now. Never went intermittent or inaccurate, just stopped displaying.

I've checked the fuses and have determined that there is 12V to the connector behind the instrument console to the LCD when the ignition is turned on.

Having spoken to my (not so) local BMW technician he's sugged that there should be a permanent 12V supply to the clock (i.e. even when ignition is off). This is not happening, none of the 6 connectors is live when the ignition is off.

He further suggested I remove the tank and look for corroded/damaged cables in the electrical connections box/ radiator area. I cannot see any problems here either.
I have reseated all connections but no success.

I am now wondering if the "load relief" relay may be at fault here, but I'm unsure of its function.

Any thoughts / ideas would be appreciated, I'm about to start studying the wiring diagrams but am not hopefull.

Steve

Last edited by SteveN; Feb 8th, 2006 at 4:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 9:55 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveN
Having spoken to my (not so) local BMW technician he's sugged that there should be a permanent 12V supply to the clock (i.e. even when ignition is off). This is not happening, none of the 6 connectors is live when the ignition is off.
Steve,
Your tech's suggestions seem appropriate. My clock displays the time when the ignition is off.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 4:43 am
Addict

addition

I had exactly the same problem. Assuming you've checked all the fuses (F5, 4A), if there is no supply there will probably be a wiring break in the steering head end of the loom which moves. If the supply is broken you shouldn't be seeing gear display either (??) If you see the gear display and no clock, chances are the problems inside the head on the clock circuit board.

The +12V supply should be on pin 1 of the connector, probably running to a skimpy red/black wire back to F5, just waiting to corrode or break.

I didn't waste time unpicking the loom to find the break, I just disconnected the original wire, taped the end and ran in a new wire from fuse F5. You can fish a wire through under the tank, but it's best to tidy it up next time the tank is off.

I just noticed that F5 perm. 12V feeds the ignition switch connector pin 2 going to wire Red. Check this is +12 when ignition off with a meter, and link across from there.

The load relief relay has nothing to do with it. The supply must always be present, ignition off, else the clock will stop and reset!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Feb 9th, 2006 at 4:54 am. Reason: correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 8:32 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thumbs up Found it!

Thanks for the replies. Voxmagna your almost spot on. I think my wiring may be diferent than yours:
Looking at the socket (female pins) at the connection 3 inches from LCD display at the back of the instrument panel the layout is as follows:
--------------------
(6) (5) (4)
(3) (2) (1)
--------------------

Cable colurs are:
Pin 1: Yellow/Blue
Pin 2: Yellow/Black
Pin 3: Yellow/White
Pin 4: Brown
Pin 5: Red/White
Pin 6: Green/Black

I "think" Pins 1 through 4 are for the digital gear display

Pin 6 (Green/Black) goes to +12V with ignition switch in ON position and OV in OFF.
Pin 5 (Red/White) which showed no voltage yesterday, today varies between 3V and 7V
depending on how I manipluate the white socket connector (which has a Red/White cable to it) in the connections box behind the RHS radiator, particulalry since I removed the cable tie holding the bunch of cables near the radiator cowel / engine casing.
I pierced the Pin 5 (Red/White) cable with a needle as it goes into the back of the instrument pod and connected this direct to the battery +12V, BINGO display shows "1:00".

So LCD Display is OK, I now need to replace the wire or as suggested jumper to nearest permanent 12V.

Bike has 9000 Miles on clock, new in September 2002, a bit worrying really! Still could be worse could have been a more important wire and stopped me riding it.

Thanks again
Steve
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 9:23 am

Agree. That's a little wierd. Shouldn't be having wires fail on such a new bike. --Jerry
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:09 am
Addict

Sorry, I mean't to say my K's '97, I never trust wiring colors anyway, but you got the gist in the end. If I'd stripped the loom back I could have backed up my theory it's broken at the top end. Yes the others are for gears, but they are grounds and the only supply is the one you found.

........Bike has 9000 Miles on clock, new in September 2002, a bit worrying really! Still could be worse could have been a more important wire and stopped me riding it.

Well now I told you that the wire from the ignition switch to F5 is permanent 12V, that would definitely stop you running, but I haven't got the diag. handy to say if it's thicker and less likely to break or not.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:51 am

Thanks

Having bought my K1200RS two weeks ago (97) with 24K and no clock/gear indicator I was a happy bear to find this thread.

I now have a clock/gear indicator

Thank you guys, you've made my weekend

Will
UK
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2006, 6:48 pm
Addict

Pity you didn't see the thread first and negotiated a big discount, those clock displays and fault finding at BMW rates are many 's to the ignorant and an easy fault to point out on a bike.

Hope you're liking the bike, weather's just starting to pickup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode