Need Help - 04 K 1200 LT Multiple Issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2014, 10:04 am Thread Starter
Noob

Need Help - 04 K 1200 LT Multiple Issues

Hi all,

Yesterday I drove 7 hours to pick up a 2004 K 1200 LT with only 4k miles on it. It was stored in a climate controlled environment, but rarely ridden (obviously). I made the 7 hour ride home on it and it ran like a dream.

However.... The brake failure light and the ! light kept blinking and reverse wouldn't engage at all. The price was very good and there didn't seem to be anymore issues, so I rode it home without incident. I'm wondering if the two issues could be connected to one another? I checked and the abs is plugged in. Where should I start to look? Dealership is two hours away and I'd like to have a clue or try first before getting crazy and needing a second mortgage to fix it.

Also, I know it's from sitting, but the gas gauge doesn't work at all. Did this bike have a float or is it all electronic? Full tank reads half tank then drops to low fuel with the annoying warning light after about 40 miles. I just did what I always do and set the trip meter and gassed every couple of hundred miles, but I need to fix this if nothing else, for the warning light.

Last annoying issue is that the speedo reads 5 over actual speed which I can get used to, but on a bike with 4k miles,..... If anyone has any ideas where to start before I take it in, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2014, 5:37 am
cws

Hiya!

Best forum for LT support is really over at BMWLT.com.... very friendly bunch (for the most part... hope you can take a ribbing) with some excellent technical guys who know the LT inside-out.

Break failure light, ! light... can be something as simple as a brake tail light being blown, to something more dramatic.
There is a special test sequence where you can test all the brake & cruise micro switch functions, see Sailor's post here, he even made a youtube video of it...
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61130

Reverse,, could be the reversing sensor gone faulty... ask on the LT site.
Fuel, again check on BMW LT.

Speedo, there is a fix for that, agian on the LT site.. you have to solder a jumper on your instrument panel's board.... plans are on the LT site.

There's a lot of commonality between the LT and the RS/GT pre-05, but you may as well go to the main bar for a drink. :-)

Oh, and there's a lot of maintenance videos at http://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/ser...eos/15-k-bikes

Have fun :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2014, 9:30 am
Veteran

Speedo reading over....that's normal for BMW they even have a bulletin about that.I don't particulary like their way of justifying that but then....Oh well!

ABS lights....if you have the booket it should tell you about the flashing sequence and what it means.No booklet look under the seat there may be a sticker there with the ABS lights info. May be as simple as a low fluid level in one of the reservoirs.

Fuel gauge should be a float. A float inside a "pipe". Could be stuck somehow. At such low milleage means the bike sat. If the fuel wasn't stabilized well it may have turned to goop.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode