Transmission failure advice sought - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2014, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

Transmission failure advice sought

I ride a 2006 k1200r. On saturday I did the dual air filter mod and pulled out the db killer in the arrow exhaust. YEEEEHHHAAAAWW! ITS ALIVE! Had the classic jump out / jump in to gear of transmission failure last night. First in 4th really bad at lowish rpm ( 6000 ), and then very briefly in 2nd at about 8k rpm. It might have done it once at around 10'000 kms (i think it was a bad 1st-2nd shift) but now i have 35'000 kms and this is the first time I've had any tranny issue.

The questions:

1. Is it too late to have the gearbox undercut? or has anyone undercut after failure?
2. Can I buy shift forks (they're probably bent) from the dealer?
3. does the 1300 tranny fit.
4. Part out or buy new tranny?
etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 11:22 am
JCW
contributor

The damage to the transmission might include the drums, forks and gears.
The dogs on the gears will already show wear but CAN/MAY be rewelded and undercut. But I would trust this only to a very experienced trans company.

Last I checked, the transmission components were not for sale separately and only come as a unit. I would double check with the dealer or online parts place to confirm, though.
No reason the components can't be replaced but BMW just doesn't provide new parts separately.

I had my old yamaha trans magnafluxed, welded and undercut 1-5 and it cost north of $550 total. Figure around that much for the k1200. Less if the trans didn't needed to be rewelded. Add the cost of a used trans and it could get expensive quickly.

Looking on ebay, there's a used 2008 gearbox but they want $1200 for it. No way I'd pay that. highway robbery.

If you decide to go that direction, I have a low mileage (probably 5000) 2006 gearbox from my bike that had no symptoms of slipping out of gear before I took a tumble at a trackday. I could sell that for $500 plus shipping. If you are interested.

As far as keeping or parting it out, I guess it depends how much you love the bike.

good luck

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 11:23 am
JCW
contributor

Sorry, the ebay used trans is $1450. That's stupid.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode