Steering Shimmy - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:49 am Thread Starter
Addict

Steering Shimmy

I had a new tires mounted and balanced. When he put the balance weights on he put them all in one spot on one side of the wheel. 1 1/2 onces.

I told the manager I didn't want the weights all in one spot, and he said the guy that balances went home.
But I need the tires to go on a trip and I was short on time. So I put the wheels on the bike.

I started out and there was no vibration at any speed.
After a couple of hundred miles and the weather wamed up I had both hands off the bars and I had a bad, EXTREME, shimmy between 55 - 65 mph. As long as I had a hand on the grips the was no shimmy, or vibration.

I had a 3000 mile trip to make and no time to get this fixed.
So I took the weights off, all 1 1/2 onces. The shimmy stopped. but I had a little vibration at 75.

So I bought some wheel weights and put 1/2 once on each side. That worked.
When I get home I will rebalance.

FYI
Bazra
aka; The Flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:33 am
Noob

Shake, shake, shake

Bazra,

Most bikes are susceptible to shimmy at a given speed. It usually happens as you describe, under deceleration, with the hands off the bars. This usually occurs when attempting to adjust something, like trying to zip your jacket, or pull on your gloves, thus necessitating using both hands. The shimmy can get pretty violent, and is unnerving to those that have not previously experienced it.

Bob in Bradford

Blk 02 K12RS
94 FLHTCU
03 M9000 Kubota
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:18 pm

Flash,
I doubt your shimmy is related to the balance weights. I would read the threads on steering damper and see if that fits better. I know guys who don't even balance their motorcycle tires. Any shop will get it more than close enough. I'm not sure what you were asking for when you said you didn't want the weights all in one place. Can you explain????

1.5 oz isn't a lot but it's quite a bit. What tire is it?

Cheers,
Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:16 am Thread Starter
Addict

Guys thanks for the thoughts.
the tire on the front is a sport Mich. the back is a Mich, Road. Both new.

I have never had a shimmy at any speed under 120MPH. and I may not have a shimmy at 120+ but I don't lean back with no hands on the grips at that speed.

I have had a 02 and 04 K1200 RS

The new front tire had a strip of ballance weights 1/4 ounce each and there were six of them connected together. Like they come in their box. 6 x 1/4 = 1 1/2 ounces.
all on one side of the wheel.

I had a bad shimmy at 55-65 with no hands on the grips on criuse control. It would shimmy when speeding up or slowing down or criuse. 55-65 mph.

I took the weights off and there was NO shimmy.

I put 1/2 ounce on each side of the wheel and there is NO shimmy at any speed with no hands on the grips.

The balance weights all on one side of the wheel caused the shimmy.

Bazra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode