Switch pod hits tank? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2006, 2:25 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Switch pod hits tank?

Hello, I'm a new owner of a 1998 K1200RS.

The prior owner had installed some barbacks, which I don't find desirable or necessary. I took them off last night, and it looks like the bar mounts were drilled out to accommodate the barbacks. Anyway, when I seat the bars on the mounts in the position nearest to me, the left turn signal switch hits the tank (barely) at full lock - just enough to activate the signal. Is this typical, or does it mean the bar mounts were screwed up? It also looks as though the left switch pod isn't mounted all the way up the bar; there is about a 1/16" gap between the edge of the pod and the turned-down edge of the bar that isn't present on the right side. That itself could be enough to cause the interference.

Relatedly, I'd like to rotate both switch pods down a bit so that the brake/clutch lever angle is a bit lower. There's not an obvious way to loosen these, and in BMW style they may be pinned to a certain angle anyway. Anyone adjust them?

Thanks! Anyone want a set of barbacks cheap?

KeS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2006, 5:38 am
Addict

I have the BMW comfort risers. I found the grip assemblies can slacken and twist round a bit. I don't have your problem, but the bars do just touch my comfort screen on full lock

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2006, 9:02 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Switch pod adjustment

Yup, they did just hit the screen with the risers on, now that they're off I have the opposite problem! I'm more concerned with the switch hitting the tank, though - that'll mar the finish pretty fast if I don't get it adjusted somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2006, 9:22 am

Smile Grip rotation…

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens
Hello, I'm a new owner of a 1998 K1200RS. Relatedly, I'd like to rotate both switch pods down a bit so that the brake/clutch lever angle is a bit lower. There's not an obvious way to loosen these, and in BMW style they may be pinned to a certain angle anyway. Anyone adjust them?

KeS
Hitting the tank (lightly) as you noted depends on the position of the grip and switchgear. And yes, they can be rotated slightly (dependent on hydraulic hose length). PM me for method.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode