Front Wheel Bearing Replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2006, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Question Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Is this as straight forward as it appears to be? Anything to beware of? The manual says one method, and MCN article on replacement is somewhat different. Like heating and cooling the bearing, etc..

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:02 pm

No, it's not as simple as it appears to be. You need to heat the rim quite a bit and the quicker the better, trying not to heat the bearing inside. Then you need to tap it out which can be very difficult. I've used an expanding mandrel. --Jerry
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Wheel Bearing Removal

Just how do you heat the rim? I think I read it needed to be heated to 140 F. And one guy put his rim in the oven....that was from the IBMWR site. I was not planning on removing the tire. Wouldn't a heat gun do the job??

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 3:42 pm

First, I wouldn't try to do this w/o removing the tire. Even if you let the air out of it the heat might damage the tire. Tires are life safety equipment.

I used an industrial strength heat gun and it took almost an hour to heat it up and I had to put it so close that some of the paint in the area of the brake rotor supports blistered a little (no big deal on my old wheels). The problem is that aluminum is a geat conductor of heat. I wonder if the oven might be a better choice since it will avoid the hotspots that I got. I would probably choose something a little hotter like 160 to 180.

Are you replacing both bearings? Have you already bought them? you can save quite a few bucks by buying them from someplace other than BMW.

--jerry
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 6:34 pm
Veteran

Talking

For gods sake... put your NEW bearings in the freezer for at least 2 hours before re-installing... They should tap in like buddah if you do this..

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 6:59 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
For gods sake... put your NEW bearings in the freezer for at least 2 hours before re-installing... They should tap in like buddah if you do this..
But the MOST IMPORTANT part is NEVER tap or othewise impact them on their inner race! EVER!

Best is to select a socket (or similar tool) that is about the same diameter as the outer race, and place this next to the bearing. When you tap on this (or even whack it hard), all the force is transmitted to the outer race, and the balls never see an impact.

Ball bearings can be totally ruined if you try to drive them in (even by a little light taping) by the inner race. The balls make only point contact with the races, and even a light tapping will result in enough pressure at the ball's contact points to damage them.

When refrigerating the bearing first (or heating the bore you are driving it into), you have to be pretty quick at installing the bearing. Once the bearing starts to contact its seat, it warms up pretty quick, and you can be left with a half-installed bearing that is difficult to budge.

Bob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode