how to replace the headlight bulb? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2006, 9:00 am Thread Starter
Addict

how to replace the headlight bulb?

I did a search here and the "other" site, found a lot about bulbs, but nothing on how to replace. I have a 98RS. Thought as much fun as the oil and air filters were to change,the bulbs had to be a trip.Any easy way to swap them out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:37 am
Addict

Depends which bulbs. Some are fun others more fun (ehm, I mean aggravation). If you're about changing bulbs you might want to change as many of the pilot bulbs that go black before popping in one hit. The bulbs are bmw specials.

I once extracted a headlamp bulb squeezing my hands up inside the back. Getting the plastic back cover off took about 15 minutes (I think I used position '69'). Then I struggled getting it all back not knowing if the clips were on right or not, or if I'd broken anything. I seem to remember the pilot bulb is doable, but main and instrument bulbs need a naked front end.

Now I remove the screen, bits of plastic behind, front section and side skins. It might take 10-15 minutes to do that, but the whole front end lamp unit and instrument head is then naked and accessible.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:38 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
I did a search here and the "other" site, found a lot about bulbs, but nothing on how to replace. I have a 98RS. Thought as much fun as the oil and air filters were to change,the bulbs had to be a trip.Any easy way to swap them out?
If you read the owners manual, and follow the outlined procedure, it's really
NOT a difficult thing to do. You don't have to remove any bodywork or anything.

A twenty minute job, assuming you give yourself a coffee break at the halfway point

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2006, 2:31 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I bought the bike used, with no owners manual. I do have the cd repair disc, but have found it pretty worthless so far. But I will refer to it for this. Was hoping someone had a real neat trick that would get it down to a real easy thing to do! Only one or two beers left in the ice box so my time is limited.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2006, 2:37 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

well, good luck then. I'd copy the stuff out of the manual for
ya but I'm at work all weekend. Sorry I can't be more help.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2006, 4:13 pm Thread Starter
Addict

ok , its a done deal. not as bad as I thought! A few tips for the next guy. First I was right about the cd repair disc. It says to take out and replace bulb, Ya no shit. But the picture was helpful. 1st step is to push the wire clip down , releasing the bowl that covers the bulbs.Then by much cursing and twisting remove said bowl. A small screw can almost be seen to the left of the bulb with a 3/8 x1/2 inch tin block under it.At first this looks like a phillips screw, its not, nor is it the small allen wrench in the tool kit. It is a t-20 Torx. ( note to self, buy a t-20 L wrench and put in tool kit for on the road repairs.) Then when you drop screw and tin thingy a spring clip that holds the bulb in gives loose and bulb will fall. New bulb goes with knotch up. Practice putting in old bulb a few times before trying new bulb. this is all done by the Braille method as you cannot see a dam thing. One hand under fairing another on top. Reassemble, while swearing and twisting bowl thingy, snap spring in place and go ride.Do not touch bulb itself as oil from your fingers can shorten its life.And all this applies only to the low beam that can seen at all, as the high beam is out of sight and touch so far that Helen Keller could not find it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 4:22 am
Addict

You're a Hero for getting there in the end!

Try the plastic off method next time. The other problem trying to do this as a roadside repair is making sure the lamps are properly mated up in the holder so the beam will align. I once replaced a lamp like you did and found on a beam test it wasn't seated properly in the holder - that's another reason I don't like changing lamps blind.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:32 am
Looking for better limits...

I pull off the plastic until I have the nose piece off, then pull out the headlamp assembly. Half hour job from start to finish. I also have a GT, so the concept of reaching in to the rear of the headlamp assembly is challenged by the windscreen motor, making a difficult job of removing the back cover next to impossible.
Assembly of the H3 bulb holder (high beam) is also a bit of a challenge, but it does align with indexes in the metal base as well as the bulb base.

Once the three screws are removed from the headlight assembly, you have two plugs to address. On the bottom left side (clutch lever side) of the headlamp assembly is the parking lamp encased in a rubber boot. Just pull the boot out of the bottom. Tight, but not impossible fit. THen pull the headlamp assembly out just enough so that you can see the three-wire plug on the left side. There is a captive wire-spring that you have to pull away (usually comes off, but just has to move a quarter inch) and the plug can be pulled off the headlamp. Keep in mind that it's an awkward object, meaning it's a lot easier for it to slip out of your hands if you're not careful.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode