Fixing the proverbial leak - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2006, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Fixing the proverbial leak

Assuming I wanted to fix the timing chain cover leak myself. Is this recommended as DIY? I have seen comments stating "let the dealer do it" even one statement saying he wouldn't attempt it. Looking at ETK and the K12 CD it doesn't look like rocket science, but I know better. There is always a surprise. There must be more to it than removing a few screws, marking the position of the magnetic gate. Does anyone know of an illustrated step by step procedure? Or first hand experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 4:13 am
Addict

Plenty of 'surprises'. If the dealer does it you have his warranty when it leaks again.

If you do it, you might just get to learn how to do the job better and quicker next time around.

If you search the archives for timing cover leaks, you'll find so many replies that it might make you wonder if being a NASA rocket scientist with a BMW CD is not an essential qualification, to do a job that's going to last 30K miles. My impression from many posts I've read is that's probably conservatively more than a BMW factory tech. could get on a new bike!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Mbhon posted a 23 page illustrated step by step procedure. Did a search on the net which took me to the archives of the old site. I will use Hondabond instead of Permatex and hope for the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode