'87 K100LT electrical issue. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2015, 5:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

'87 K100LT electrical issue.

New member, but have been riding this K100lt for over 6 years.

Alas, when it comes to electrical, I am way out of my league.

My current problem is that when I have had the battery connected, the battery indicator light is one when the key is off, and the master cut-off switch engaged. I've posted this issue on the MOA forum, but got hardly any avenues on what the issue is aside from being a short.

Today, I have charged the battery and tried connecting it with the key on and got nothing, but did hear what sounded like the cable arcing (hand connecting it, not bolted). Thought I had crossed the wires, so I reversed, and had the horn blow while still hearing an arcing sound.

For one, my battery cables are not color coated. I have a large cable connect near the alternator, and a smaller cable on the left side.

For the record, this had been my late dad's bike before he went to the behemoth 2002 K1200LT. I'm trying to sell both, but need to get the electrical issue of my K100 taken care (plus I want to ride it again.

A good picture of the battery connection and wires would greatly help. A known issue with shorts on the K100 is something a really seek. And someone out in Tennessee who could find and fix the issue would absolutely make me a very happy guy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2015, 8:42 am
Veteran

First of all it can be a very bad idea connecting them batteries reversed. A really bad idea....!!!!!

So first find which is the ground, shouldn't be too hard. Goes to engine/frame somewhere but I don't remember exactly where on the old Ks.

And the positive? That one disappears into the loom doesn't it or goes towards the other electricals anyway?

They are known for dirty ignition switches so that may be part of your problem. I'd clean that and then proceed to clean all the connectors on that bike. Old bike, has that ever been done? There is a BMW bulletin from around them years that recommends a cleaning/greasing of all the connectors every year. Mind you I use the good dielectric grease....2-3 years!

So.....checks/checks and then if problem persist, I'd have a good idea as to where to send you looking but the electricals should be checked first for corrosion AND the battery connected properly.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2015, 11:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
First of all it can be a very bad idea connecting them batteries reversed. A really bad idea....!!!!!

So first find which is the ground, shouldn't be too hard. Goes to engine/frame somewhere but I don't remember exactly where on the old Ks.

And the positive? That one disappears into the loom doesn't it or goes towards the other electricals anyway?

They are known for dirty ignition switches so that may be part of your problem. I'd clean that and then proceed to clean all the connectors on that bike. Old bike, has that ever been done? There is a BMW bulletin from around them years that recommends a cleaning/greasing of all the connectors every year. Mind you I use the good dielectric grease....2-3 years!

So.....checks/checks and then if problem persist, I'd have a good idea as to where to send you looking but the electricals should be checked first for corrosion AND the battery connected properly.
I've got it connected properly now, sort of. Don't have one of the connections bolted in as I've lost the bolt. ugh. But when connected, the horn continuously blows. And it doesn't start now. I sprayed the left handle bar switches with contact cleaner, but the problem still persist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2015, 8:24 am
Veteran

Stuck horn? May have a stuck relay.Pull it out, you'll have to anyway if just to put a meter at the connectors and see if the horn button is stuck.

I don't know what year is your bike? The early relays (Loadshed/horn etc...) were defective.Early and possibly defective had a metal cover instead of the updated later Bosch with the well sealed plastic cover.

Same relay btw the loadshed and horn and you can switch them over when/if the loadshed goes. No more horn for a while but the electricals will work and the bike will run.

I have a few of them relays....older BMW cars at Pick&Pull Autoparts? Should be 3-4 of them in the electrical boxes of the mid-90s BMWs.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2015, 10:07 am
Addict

OP title is an '87. Most likely the horn relay is stuck or fused when you switched poles on battery. Hope that's all that got fused.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 7:59 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
Hope that's all that got fused.
Me too....someone did that with a K1200RS. Loadshed relay fused and the starter was turning in reverse. That is until the starter cooked itself.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode