Yet Another Oil Thread - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 7:10 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Yet Another Oil Thread

First, I apologize because the search function just isn't cuttin' it for me on this topic.
I just learned from my dealer that there is a difference between car and motorcycle oil.
I've been using Mobil 1 15W 50 for the last 12K miles with no problems.
I just bought it at the auto parts store never considering that it was made for cars, not bikes.
One of the techs at my dealership told me, off the record, that I'm not doing any damage and don't lose any sleep over it.
But I will start using motorcycle Mobil 1 from now on.
What is the difference between the 2?
Please discuss.
Thanks,
Lenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:52 am
Throttle Jockey

Lenny, motorcycle specfic oils are formulated for wet clutch bikes that share
motor oil with the engine. To make the clutch work better, they add friction
modifiers to make it less slippery. Since the BMW's have a dry clutch, there is
no problem using car oil or mtorcycle oil, you just end up paying more for the
motorcycle oil.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:21 am
Looking for better limits...

R-bikes and first edition K-bikes (brick engine) are essentially the same engine/clutch/tranny as cars, no problem with automotive oil.

F-bikes and the new K-bikes (transverse engine, wet clutch) will need some attention paid to the kind of oil used in the engine.

Technically, the only question that would arise would be for the K1200GT, as the rest of the K-bikes have a designation (RS/S/R/LT) that indicate what motor they have, and therefore the oil requirement.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:29 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

OK, let me get this straight.
My 2003 K1200 RS can use regular car Mobil 1 since it
has a dry clutch?
So my dealer was just trying to make a few extra
bucks on me?
Lenny
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 2:33 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny
My 2003 K1200 RS can use regular car Mobil 1 since it
has a dry clutch?
So my dealer was just trying to make a few extra
bucks on me?
Lenny
BMW's oil bulletin from the late '90s said that newer automotive oils contained less and less antiwear additives (specifically Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate, or ZDDP). They state that their oil has enhanced levels of this stuff (as most motorcycle oils supposedly do).

They also state that oils rated as SG or earlier (but NOT SG together with SH and later ratings) are OK.

A useful point is that they accept so-called "HD" oils, that is, your typical 15W40 "diesel oil" since diesel oils do contain higher levels of ZDDP. Nice thing about this is that a diesel oil such as Chevron Delo 15W40 or Shell Rotella-T 15W40 are about 1/3 the cost of "motorcycle oils". I have used Dello 15W40 in my K100 for years and I like it a lot.

As others have pointed out, since you have a dry clutch, there is no use for a motorcycle oil that males a point of stating it has passed the JASO-MA test, since this only relates to how the oil works with a wet clutch.

Bob.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 2:49 pm

Quote:
My 2003 K1200 RS can use regular car Mobil 1 since it has a dry clutch?
Basically, yes, for the engine.
Quote:
So my dealer was just trying to make a few extra bucks on me?
Lenny
Well...
Quote:
One of the techs at my dealership told me, off the record, that I'm not doing any damage and don't lose any sleep over it.
Don't know what the dealers motives were, nor can I explain why the tech spoke "off the record", but...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2006, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFWILSON
BMW's oil bulletin from the late '90s said that newer automotive oils contained less and less antiwear additives (specifically Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate, or ZDDP). They state that their oil has enhanced levels of this stuff (as most motorcycle oils supposedly do).

They also state that oils rated as SG or earlier (but NOT SG together with SH and later ratings) are OK.

A useful point is that they accept so-called "HD" oils, that is, your typical 15W40 "diesel oil" since diesel oils do contain higher levels of ZDDP. Nice thing about this is that a diesel oil such as Chevron Delo 15W40 or Shell Rotella-T 15W40 are about 1/3 the cost of "motorcycle oils". I have used Dello 15W40 in my K100 for years and I like it a lot.

As others have pointed out, since you have a dry clutch, there is no use for a motorcycle oil that males a point of stating it has passed the JASO-MA test, since this only relates to how the oil works with a wet clutch.

Bob.
Bob,
I second your recommendation. The only downside is that you can't find them very often in 20w50 so if you live in a hot climate they might not be an answer to you. That said, I used regular API SL oil in my R1100RS from 69K to 85K and it's oil consumption seemed to decrease from about 1 qt every 6k miles to about 1/2 qt / 6k miles.

But don't be tempted to use a different viscosity than recommended.

--Jerry
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 9:57 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

So, from all this, I gather most motorcycles have wet clutches and the KRS and Ducati's have dry clutches?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a dry clutch?
Lenny
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Quote:
So, from all this, I gather most motorcycles have wet clutches and the KRS and Ducati's have dry clutches?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a dry clutch?
Lenny
BMW's for the most part have dry clutches. All the R's do, and the older K's do. Newer K's and the F-series are wet. The noisy Duc's are dry, but I believe there are some Duc's that have a wet clutch as well.

It's a trade-off. You need less clutch surface area for a dry clutch, whereas a wet clutch allows slipping to keep from killing a small motor trying to move from a dead stop/uphill stop. Wet clutches are also multiple-disk to give it more surface area to work with.

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:23 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks again Razel
Lenny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode