Heat Vent in Fairing - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:37 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Heat Vent in Fairing

Has anyone added a vent in the fairing, just above your knee, to get some hot engine air on your body in cold weather?
Or a add on air deflection/direction vent on the radiator air outlet

I have had to ride in cold weather for the past 4 weeks. I have all the BMW riding gear for cold but would still like some more heat.

Doesn't the big Honda have a heat vent or deflector?

What type vent will be able to close off completely to block off and insulate the hot air in hot weather?

Cold as hell

Bazra
aka: The Flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 2:43 pm
"DELIVERS"

You don't say what bike you have, but if it's a GT, I can't imagine being cold with heated grips and seat and good gear.....got a heated vest?

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 6:41 pm
Veteran

[QUOTE=bazra]Has anyone added a vent in the fairing, just above your knee, to get some hot engine air on your body in cold weather?
Or a add on air deflection/direction vent on the radiator air outlet

For leg warmth in very cold rides across the desert. I wear ski pants and use chemical foot warmers.
I would hate to cut into those VERY expensive side panels to get a little hot air.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 11:21 pm
Enthusiast

On both my KRS and VFR I can get some heat on my legs by putting my feet on the pillion pegs. This drops my legs into the stream of warm air coming off the radiator outlets.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 8:35 am
Addict

I wear a thermal vest and pants under leathers in cold weather.

The problem trying to use the vents is when you are moving fast there will be so much air pushing through fast, that there should only be a few degree rise in air temperature at most and not much to make a difference. Slow speed is different. If you think about how the rads work, the maintained temperature is around the engine water jacket and at high speed in cold weather the thermostat won't be letting much heat out to the rads. The hottest parts will be the muffler head manifold and can, but again if you have a lot of cold air flowing through at speed, you won't get much useful temperature rise until you stop. That's when I usually wait for the fans to kick in and warm up my hands.

I haven't heard of anybody adding a water jacket to a muffler yet, or adding a bypass to the engine coolant flow in order to heat a seat and the bar stubs - increasing the emissive area would be very beneficial since the rads are small anyway. The seat's easy, a few rows of 1/4-3/8 copper tube between the pan and foam layer, some decent quick disconnects with integral shutoffs and a 12 volt solenoid valve.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:40 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I should have told you it is a K1200RS 04.
I have the Phase Three suite from BMW full insulation, with BMW heated Vest and a BMW under garment that has some special material for hot and cold. and thermal leggins.

I wear a full garment hood under my full face helmet. and have heated grips.
Insulated socks and racing boots, my feet don't get cold.

My last trip was on Feb 26 from Las Vegas to Roswell NM.
Was it cold? Hell it was snowing just outside of Phoenix.

I will ride for 8 to 10 hours in 30 to 40 degree weather for days. And then have to come back. This is for a business trip.
It is worse at night with no sun to have thermal warming.

I plan on get those hippo hands.

I just want some warm air on me.
I will buy a set of fairings on E Bay and put a vent in them and let you know how it works.

Maybe I should get a bigger wind screen too.

Thanks
Bazra
aka;The Flash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode