Yet another smoking gt question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Yet another smoking gt question

I know this is an old thread, but I have not seen an explanation on the exact mechanical reason that K engines tend to smoke when cranked. Mine only does so randomly, only 2000 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 9:49 am

K Engine Smoking

I have had K bikes for the last 15 years. My first was a 1985 K100RT. This bike would smoke if you parked it using the side stand. I was told that oil would go by the piston ring oil holes into the combustion chamber and smoke on start up. As long as I used the center stand I never had a smoking problem on start up. I now have a K1200GT which will smoke if I use the side stand. I never use the side stand because of this smoking problem and the fact I have heard that the K1200GT side stand may result in the bike falling off the side stand. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:05 am
Addict

2004 gt

Once in a while I get some smoke on startup. Oil level hasn't moved, still runs like a scalded cat after 6, wait, now 7k miles. It might be burning a bit...but a very, very small bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 3:05 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh
I know this is an old thread, but I have not seen an explanation on the exact mechanical reason that K engines tend to smoke when cranked. Mine only does so randomly, only 2000 miles on it.
This is the reason....

The motor is a flat-4. Oil can puddle on the bottom side of the cylinder bores especially if you are on the sidestand, or it the centerstand is on slightly uneven ground, leaning a bit to the left.

But this alone isn't enough. If the motor has stopped so one cylinder is has pulled a small vacuum with its valves closed, a small amount of the puddled oil can be sucked past the rings (especially if they stopped with the gap at the bottom). We're talking about a few drops only. This is where the smoke comes from.

The original K100s were famous for this. Mine does it occasionally since I leave it mostly on the side stand. At some point, (probably starting with the 4-valve K100s, and continuing on with all "Brick" engines after it), BMW "pinned" the oil ring and perhaps one of the compression rings to ensure the ring gap was not at the bottom (NOTE: rings actually rotate slowly when the motor is running).

So your bike probably is only occasionally subject to the problem.

Bottom line is "they all do that" to some degree or other. This is perfectly normal for these bikes, and the amount of oil consumed is immeasurable. My '86K100RT consumes nothing between 10,000km changes.

Bob.

Last edited by RFWILSON; Apr 13th, 2006 at 4:31 pm.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2006, 1:41 pm
Addict

I agree with all previous posts.
I had and 02 RS and now a 04 RS. I can make it smoke any time:

come to a stop shut off the Eng. and put it directly to the side stand. When I come back and start it the bike will smoke.

For it not to smoke, shut the engine off and lean the bike to the RIGHT for about five second. So the oil will flow to the oil Resv.
Then put it on the side stand.

I don't use the side stand to park my bike!!! I don't like picking it of the ground.
But thats just me.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2006, 2:32 pm
"DELIVERS"

Us BLUE ones are always SMOKIN'!!
:troll

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode