Strange behavior - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2006, 5:56 am Thread Starter
ten

Strange behavior

Here's an interesting problem I've just encountered on my new '04 K12RS. Returning from the dealer on a very rainy day. I pulled up to a light, pulled in the clutch, and noticed my headlights went off but the engine was still running. I scratched my head, put it in gear and started off. The lights came back on. This happened every time the clutch was disengaged. Then I heard a high pitched whirring sound. I pulled into a gas station, turned off the bike, turned the key back on and everything seemed fine. I pulled in the clutch and the bike started (without pushing the start button). Then I heard the whirring sound again. Seems like it is the started motor is continuing to run after the bike has started. The gear is not engaged so its not grinding but the starter continues to run until the clutch is let out and the transmission begins turning. I made it home and let the bike sit in the garage overnight. The next morning, and every day since, the bike runs beautifully. Definitely seems like a water-caused short somewhere. It's going into the dealer tomorrow but thought I'd ask the collective knowledge for any advise and suggestions. Have any?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2006, 7:05 pm
Addict

The clutch lever is part of the safety interlock with the side stand and shifter to allow the bike to be started with the shift in gear and the clutch pulled in but not when the side stand is down or the clutch is out and the shift is in any gear but neutral. These are all important safety things which you need to get checked. Your problem is definitely screwed up wiring.

There were some posts around following a starter problem which caused a lot of damage. These bikes use a Sprague starter clutch rather than the usual recoil type found on cages. This was news to me, but the damage consequences of the faulty starter clutch produced bad noises and a eventually a seriously big repair bill at the end.

Your electrical problem may be a far simpler and cheaper fault to rectify than damage which might be caused if the starter is running when it shouldn't. Since the stand switch is linked into the safety system and is under the bike in an exposed position this is probably a good place to start and you definitely need to get the problem solved quickly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Everything Vox said and that starter thing was apparently a relay problem where the little 'gates' welded themselves together inside the relay. there is info on this subject, maybe it's the same thing maybe not. Definitely no normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode