Difficult downshifting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Difficult downshifting

There are times on my 99 k12rs it is very difficult to downshift. It doesn't necessarily matter what gear it is in at the time, 4th, 5th or 6th. Getting it down seems to almost take a good stomp. Most of the time the continuing downshifting is easier after the initial kick. It also seems to get easier (normal) after an hour or so of riding. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS
There are times on my 99 k12rs it is very difficult to downshift. It doesn't necessarily matter what gear it is in at the time, 4th, 5th or 6th. Getting it down seems to almost take a good stomp. Most of the time the continuing downshifting is easier after the initial kick. It also seems to get easier (normal) after an hour or so of riding. Suggestions?
The linkage is prone to dry out and sieze a few squirtz of WD40 or crc power lube should help. Permanant fix is to remove the pivot bolt and gease with synthetic grease.
Hope this helps
H
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2006, 8:07 am

Cool

From my experience, that's the beginning of the input shaft spline failure.
Remove the drive shaft, transmission and inspect your clutch, input shaft and rear drive shaft spline ASAP.
My 2002 R1150RS suffered a clutch spline failure at 28,9XX miles on the odometer.

Best of luck.

Master your environment, and you will survive just fine.
Chances favor the prepared mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 4:12 am
Addict

Hi Cat0020,

What did that cost in parts to put right? It looks expensive. The clutch plate spline is OK with me, but the input shaft looks big bucks and a lot more work. I thought our clutches had built in torque shock dampers? The splines look very clean and dry, were there any traces of lube used on them? When I've seen that sort of damage before, it's usually ineffective shock damping plus consistent hard acceleration or decel. on a fully loaded bike.

I've noticed on decel. that engine braking can be pretty fierce if you get the rpm shift point wrong. Any ideas as to what contributed to your spline failure?

We'd probably like to know if 29K regularly produces this fault or if it can be avoided in some way. I'm at 34K and wasn't anticipating a clutch change as routine maintenance. It's not mentioned in the service schedule and it seems more serious than timing chain replacement which is covered.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 2:22 pm
Addict

Out of curiosity, what causes this spline failure? Is it a metallurgical issue, or an engineering issue?

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 2:33 pm

Cool

Clutch plate and transmission were replaced under warranty, since it happend in December of 2004, I bought my R1150RS in Oct. of 2002 with 36 month/36,000 mile waranty. I sold that bike right after the failed items were replaced under warranty.

It seems to me that the spline failure is a metal issue, but it might also be user error when performing the shifting under certain conditions.

Master your environment, and you will survive just fine.
Chances favor the prepared mind.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 3:39 pm
Addict

cat0020, Did you do a lot of wheelies two up? I've not seen splines like that on cages driven real hard.

My memory gets bad these days, but I said downshifting problems can be caused by clutch drag. I don't care whether it's a wet or dry clutch - drag is drag. Here you have a clutch plate wobbling about on a faulty spline when you're trying to downshift and that's gonna make it run off-centre - that's clutch drag and downshift problems to me. Perhaps my terminology was misunderstood.

We should give all the encouragement to TomS we can, diagnosis on Forum sometimes spells doom and gloom as we chew over the worst, but it's not always correct without the visuals after investigation.

But cat0020, it may not be the same bike, but volunteer pic 98 so the unwashed get the idea of work involved here!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 4:57 pm
Noob

spline failure

I'm with the Kat....My 2001S had spline failure, "fixed" under warranty with 12,000mi and AGAIN 10,000 miles later fixed under an extended warranty...It too was difficult to downshift and after the second failure I traded the bike in for a 2004S. Lottsa luck bro.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:34 pm

Cat,
You're getting 15 minutes of fame here by trying to import the greatest fears of the Oilhead DB but I don't think there is a history of spline failures in K-bikes to support your alarmism.

Guys,
Some of the RT guys on www.bmwst.com are so concerned about spline failures that they won't ride out of the city limit. I think the whole issue is totally overblown by a few well publicised cases on a DB with thousands of members and lots of people with too much time on their hands (literally) to type.

Unless someone can post some experience with spline failures in a k12 bike then I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

Cheers,
Jerry
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 4:04 am
Addict

Lets have some posts from members who have done their own clutch change. What condition were your splines in, what bike year and mileage?

That might balance it up a little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode