Front axle grease - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

Question Front axle grease

Getting ready to do my own tires for the first time (and avoid the $50 per wheel the ~90 miles away dealer is charging)...Manual refers to lightly coat the front quick release (haha) axle, and the bearing cover with 'Shell Retinax EP2' grease for the front. Anyone know the name of an acceptable subsitute or where I can pick it up at? I can find nothing in the archive or the new forums.

I am not familar with the "details" to look for in axle grease...assume temperature is at least one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 5:54 am
Addict

Because I happen to have a tin about and because the purpose here is 'anti-seize' rather the lubrication (the axle is clamped rigid) I use copper loaded grease which I use sparingly around pad backs as well. Temperature is not an issue. Being pedantic, removal by water might be and a second bet could be waterproof marine grease - although it tends to now be graphited black and horrible, so I still prefer my nice brown copper grease.

You could probably use anything here, including Vaseline, and it would be ok as long as you are not re-packing bearings.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 7:27 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I did not even think about the color of the grease...found this as well - http://www.shelldubai.com/industrial/tds/retinax.pdf

Appears it is a mineral based oil, lithium soap, NLGI grade 2, from -30°C to 120°C. Not sure what I will find at the auto places, but it is a start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 7:58 am
Veteran

Andy
Re-read what Vox said. The axle lube is for corrosion, not lubrication. You don,t need anything fancy.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Sorry, you are right, I over looked the "purpose" here. I need to get my "bearings" straight obviously
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 8:34 am
Addict

A good one for this might be plumbers grease, a clear, silicone, waterproof type made for faucets,water supply and drains. Local hardware or plumbing supply.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:47 am

lithium stuff

I just use plain 'ole lithium based axle grease. It cost a couple bucks at the auto shop.

ONON-
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode