Fuel line quick disconnect failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:57 pm Thread Starter
Go Dawgs!

Fuel line quick disconnect failure

I had the rather disconcerting experience last week of having the fuel line quick disconnect fitting on my 03 K12GT fail, soaking my leg with gas while sitting at a stoplight. Visions of the "Human Torch" from childhood comics flashed through my head.

Anyway, checking back through maintenance records I see that my dealer (Blue Moon - ATL) replaced the line back at the 12K service due to a recall by BMW, so I'm more than a bit surprised to see a failure after only 10K additional miles.

Now I am wondering whether any of the rest of you have experienced similar failures either pre- or post-recall exchanges. Also, I noted a comment from Bobwms in another thread (http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ight=fuel+line)
about carrying spare barbed connectors for those emergenicies when quick disconnects break. Again, I am curious about the frequency of of this type of failure. My guess is that spewing of gasoline on riders at high pressure is not a good thing, especially when hot engines are close by! :wtf

At least the beast still has 6 months of warranty, so roadside service will tow from Athens to Norcross. But now I'm stuck without a ride for 10 days of great weather.

Looking forward to hearing any feedback.

-Jeff

-Jeff
2003 K1200GT (Blue...of course!)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
-- Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 1:09 pm
Just saying hey

Just found a broken male end quick disconnect on my 2001 KRS while renewing the fuel line filter. The QD was cracked at the locking feature but not yet leaking. Only a few miles extra and I would have had your experience. The part was approx $16 and easy to replace. I relieved the stress on the new part and the other QD assembly with cable ties across the U-bends of the fuel lines. Glad neither of our experiences caused fires.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 1:28 pm Thread Starter
Go Dawgs!

Okay, will answer my own question. As soon as I sent the last note this great little "Similar Threads" tool found two previous threads that my woefully inadequate keyword search missed.

Obviously, these plastic disconnects are a poor design, and after-market metal versions are a better answer as long-term replacements. See

http://www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/coup...t-lcseries.asp

(ala Bobmws -- Thanks!)

Sorry for consuming bandwidth unnecessarily.

-Jeff

-Jeff

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
-- Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 1:34 pm Thread Starter
Go Dawgs!

Definitely glad to hear you caught the problem before any flames did. Given the content of some threads I've come across since sending my first note, I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more chatter about this problem. The potential for real harm to someone seems pretty high to me.

I also feel less guilty now about using bandwidth to discuss something that's had some previous, albeit limited, coverage.

-Jeff

-- Douglas Adams
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 6:25 pm
Addict

It would be interesting to know how the disconnect failed. The acetal body because it was squeezed into the tight space and under constant tension/vibration or the 'O' rings either not suitable for fuel or damaged by previous disconnect operations. Only a careful check of the damaged disconnects would give more clues as to what failed and why.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 8:49 pm Thread Starter
Go Dawgs!

In my case it was definitely the acetal body -- cracked through and clean around at the base of the male plug. Had to be mainly heat and vibration -- hasn't been touched except whatever the service shop folks did at the 18K check. Thebill from my 12K service check says the recall maintenance was performed at that stage, but if I read the recall info correctly the correction mainly involved an O-ring replacement. Could be that someone in the shop wasn't careful during the replacement and stressed/bent the male end of the fitting. Otherwise, the acetal body has a weak design.

-Jeff

-- Douglas Adams
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:42 pm
Addict

I had the same problem, the plastic will crack.
I just put a solid brass connector in place of the plastic quick dissconnect.

Bazra
aka; The Flash
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:00 pm

I don't see why you need a quick disconnect here. I would replace them with brass couplings with hose clamps. Just make sure the tank is about empty when you change the fuel filter. Better the spill a little gas during maintenance than have a QD fail on you in the middle of the desert. FYI, the RT guys have reported some failures of their quick disconnects IIRC. --Jerry
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 2:44 pm
Veteran

I think plastic QDs should be replaced every 12 to 18K miles, right?
I already carry barbed couplers/clamps for an emergency fix, but like the idea of not making a royal mess every time tank comes off. Although that's not often; every 12K miles. I still prefer the QDs though.
Will check mine for stress, as somebody suggested being the possible culprit... and makes sense. Good day.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2006, 9:35 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdean
Obviously, these plastic disconnects are a poor design, and after-market metal versions are a better answer as long-term replacements. See...
Had placed an order a couple of weeks ago with Omega and just got mine today. Very nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0094.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	2251  

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode