my new k1100 lt leaking oil - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2016, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

my new k1100 lt leaking oil

hi k-bike world!!
im a brand new member, as i just bought my first k bike (k1100LT 1999).
seemed perfect, put in trailer to bring home, oil leaking from bottom engine/gearbox!!
did i just get ripped off or what!!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2016, 5:34 am

Welcome.
Difficult to know without:
1. how much did you pay
2. how much oil.

Cheers
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2016, 12:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs up enlightened redralphy becomes a K believer

Hi,
well, i paid too much, but i was after a project bike and the sale was very close to home. with new oil leaks after purchase, and engine performance miserable, i was feeling quite negative about it all, Having never ridden a K series before, didn't know what to expect, but it had to go better than it did on first trying, or the flying brick may have flown off a cliff!!
but i dropped at my trusted bike magician (foolishly) said no rush, but diagnose leak and engine issues.
leak turned out to be leaking fuel tank so only occurred after i filled tank. previous owner (lying dog....) had levels basically empty to avoid this happening. so the fuel ran down over engine, combining with layers of grease from the poor unloved K1100's engine, looking like an oil leak!!
new tank sorted that. (new to me that is, luckily found very reasonably priced tank on eBay).
engine diagnosis was that a monkey had previously set valves, about 16 years earlier, and one cylinder wasn't even working!!
its been fully adjusted and tuned, and goes REALLY well!!
Now my scrambler project has turned into my 'winter desert cruiser' project , as after experiencing fairings, I've decided to keep them (albeit painted red desert camo..)

still working on stage one of the winter desert cruiser- gs1150 wheels/headlight, r100gs solo seat and rear rack/fender, bsk speed works rear sets and exhaust, black stainless brake lines, handlebar risers, new (fully restored)windscreen (the electric windscreen actually sealed the sale for me....even though the previous owner had obviously NEVER cleaned it, or the rest of the bike)
But I've definitely been converted to the K series, i love it and have already great respect for such a beast.
so if you see me in the desert some winter soon (you probably won't as my red desert camp will be bloody effective), give me a wave, introduce yourself and ill pull over and put the kettle on.
regards,
stoked new K believer
redralphy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode