Airbox - Throttle Body Seal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Airbox - Throttle Body Seal

Wow, this morning I stripped down the Wildebeast to clean and re-oil my air filter, change oil & filter, get ready for the warm months. I pulled out the air filter and proceeded to do an inspection of the airbox. Holy cow I about shit!! I saw daylight coming through the bottom of the airbox. The rear two rubber connections from the throttle bodies had been pulled out, 1/4 inch or so. About 5K miles ago the clutch was changed, engine lowered, I guess the shop did not look at the airbox real close when putting it back together. Damn I was wondering why my oil was getting darker so fast. I guess I am lucky for running synthetic oil, it can handle dirt far better than dino-oil.

So I pulled everything out, throttle body assembly, fuel rail, airbox. What a mess down there. I can not believe the factory put two spring type clamps and two screw type clamps that hold the rubber down tubes to the top of the throttle bodies. WTF why not use all the same?

I de-greased everything, put new o-rings on both sides of all injectors, and two screw type clamps to replace the spring ones. Re-assembled, made sure the down tubes are fitted properly to airbox, injectors feel tighter with new o-rings, all electrical connectors now have waterproof dielectric grease, more wiring zipp ties to make eveything neater.

No Daylight in airbox now!!! Throttle moves freely, very important after messing around with all that. 10am to 6pm, two trips to the shop for parts and look at another k12 that was disassembled. Dang hope I do not have to do that again soon.

But wait, what about larger throttle bodies, high performance injectors, fuel rail and performance fuel regulator? Another 50hp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 4:06 am
Addict

Wildbeast, What air filter are you using that you 're-oil'?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 6:17 am
Veteran

something more wronger than daylite?....oil?...is wronger a word? is that a washable filter ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 7:21 am
Addict

Re-useable filters were often produced in layered grades of wire mesh, washing with oil cleared out the junk and left the filters 'sticky' to trap new dust. Washable filters are generally glass fibre or Kevlar. I didn't know either were sold aftermarket for the KRS, if that's his bike.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 2:25 pm

re: airbox

voxmagna.. I have a K&N filter for my K12RS... as you may know, they are lifetime and use an oil process... so you clean and reoil at intervals.

Wildebeast.. try RB racing.. they have the best stuff for K12s that are available.. and their exhaust has a sweet sound.. not LOUD like some are... plus.. their whole setup is very little more than just the exhaust from some other manufacturers. JMHO
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 3:23 pm

RB Racing?

Larry, what RBR products do you have on your bike?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 5:48 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Voxmagna, I have an AMSOIL washable air filter. I do not think they carry them anymore.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 6:20 pm
Addict

Thanks for the replies guys, I don't want to start another pro's and cons brand contest, but I've checked my stock filter often, even dismantled one and not found much collected inside, apart from occasional bugs. I'm not riding through serious pollution and might consider a re-useable alternative.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 2:12 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeast
Voxmagna, I have an AMSOIL washable air filter. I do not think they carry them anymore.
Did some research, they're still listed on their site for the KRS, part number is SMF122. But in UK the only Amsoil filters available are sold for Hardleys. The UK aftermarket re-useable seems dominated by K&N with both support and stock for sale.

My Amsoil contact said they have some new design re-useable air filters just out, don't know much yet or what vehicles, so I'm plugging away for more info. I won't come to any decisions until I have all the info.

I learned that an important aspect of filter design, apart from all the other things we argue about or have opinions on, is whether they achieve satisfactory 'lamina' air flow - or smooth air through the throttle bodies after leaving the filter. The critical motors for air filter design are apparently those using 'ram air' with the filter some way remote from the intake which we don't have on our bikes. This backs up some previous comments about KRS's being somewhat agnostic in performance to the brand of air filter used when dyno tested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode