strange noise - is it normal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 9:25 am Thread Starter

Question strange noise - is it normal

being a new member and being a first time BMW owner!! i was hoping you guys might be able to advise if I have a problem with a low mileage 97 K1200rs I have just bought. I notice a noise like a dull machine gun as a rev through 2 - 4 thou revs. power is fine everything is ok apart from this noise which is just there in the background. - it this normal??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 4:16 pm
Addict

No, it's not normal.
How many miles are on the engine?

Has the bike been put up for a long time?

Does it make this noise when you bring the RPM's up? or down or both? in neutral or when you ride?

Is there any other noise at any other RPM? with power ? cruise? or slow down?

It could be as simple as bad gas and you have a knock, pre-ignition. This engine likes to run at 3,000 plus RPM.

Or a worn cam chain or guide.
Or loose valve, or heaven for bid, Connecting. rod,

can allso be Alt. drive. Ect, ect.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 5:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovi540
being a new member and being a first time BMW owner!! i was hoping you guys might be able to advise if I have a problem with a low mileage 97 K1200rs I have just bought. I notice a noise like a dull machine gun as a rev through 2 - 4 thou revs. power is fine everything is ok apart from this noise which is just there in the background. - it this normal??
My '04 KRS seems to make a similar sound under certain loads. Bought it new in July '05 now has 18,000mi on it. Noise is sometimes still there, pitch has never changed. I think it's a harmonic vibration in the intake tract.
On the centerstand with the plastic off engine sound is nice and tight.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 4:02 am Thread Starter

strange noise - is it normal

thanks for the feedback and in answer to the questions

There are 14500kms (9,000 miles) on the bike
the bike would have been laid up for months at a time over the the first 4 - 5 years of its life

the noise is mainly accelerating and very very faintly deaccelerating. there is no noise in neutral. I put her on the centre stand and checked every rev combination but apart from body panel vibs and the like there is no noise at any rev. So it looks like the noise is only under load?

There is no other noise although it is very different to my other bikes (blackbird, CBX 1000, and Fazer 1000) but I think the other sounds are fine.

I checked it very carefully this am and I think the noise is mainly between 3 and 4 thou rather than 2 -4 as I thought yesterday,

the only other thing is that it has cut out a couple of times at traffic lights etc ?

Again thanks for the feedback Bazra and hopefully it might be something minor from the list of choices??!!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 4:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
My '04 KRS seems to make a similar sound under certain loads. Bought it new in July '05 now has 18,000mi on it. Noise is sometimes still there, pitch has never changed. I think it's a harmonic vibration in the intake tract.
On the centerstand with the plastic off engine sound is nice and tight.
thanks for the feedback another person described it as a world war 11 fighter plane sound!!. Is it that type of sound ?

like yours when the bike is on the centre stand the noise is not there at all.

really strange!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 7:44 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovi540
thanks for the feedback another person described it as a world war 11 fighter plane sound!!. Is it that type of sound ?

like yours when the bike is on the centre stand the noise is not there at all.

really strange!
You might call it that. Sort of a rapid muffled thump. I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets worse. There is not enough leads to go on to warrant going inside and looking around.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 8:50 am

I had a similar rattle for years, it sounded like a loose exhaust heat shield
right off idle.

Problem? The rubber bushings that isolate the ignition coil mounting plate from the engine
were hard as rocks and the whole coil assembly was loose & rattling. The bushings
cost a couple bucks and its about an hour job.

The other rattles i've had are from loose mirrors, and the gas cap lock
cover after the rubber stop thing fell off.

before

after

hth!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 9:52 am
Addict

Check the plastics are correctly fitted with all the bolts in place (there are some you can miss). Also check you have some space around the 2 front pods, they should 'float' on the spring fastenings, not touch or rub on the side panel plastics.

My '97 made those noises which sounded like the side lower panels were in contact with the vibrating motor. I can't honestly say what it was about replacing the panels (after about the 4th time) that reduced the noises, but I take longer and more care now and the noise is much less noticeable.

If you get no rattles on the stand in neutral, regard that as a bonus! Mine is the usual bag of rocks, unless the clutch is pulled in neutral.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2006, 9:07 am Thread Starter

strange noise - is it normal

thanks again to all for the feedback / suggestions - I am really impressed with the site.

I visited my local BMW service centre yesterday and BAD NEWS, they reckon that it is either a tensioner letting go or a valve loose or god knows?? (looks like you were right Bazra!) the most surprising thing was that they had to add 2 Litres of oil. I was shocked and rang the garage guy that sold me the bike. he admitted that he had not checked the levels when we released the bike (he had used it himself for 2,500 kms before selling it on) I was mad with him and now I have three choices. Give it back to him and get my money back less the 400 I paid for new panniers, give it back to him and he will get it fixed or give it to the independent garage and try and get the seller to pay for it. not good huh!! (I favour the last option at least I can have confidence in the independent garage)

I am surprised that a low oil level (which did not trigger a warning light )would do engine damage. I have head that new engines (this has only 14,000 KMS ) are very sensitive but still....

Anyway would love to keep the bike but am now concerned that I have some serious damage to worry about and if I fix it will it mean I have a " Weak" moter going forward?.

Any advice gratefully recieved !!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2006, 1:50 pm
Addict

Any suggestion of the bike being run with low oil is a potential death sentence and nobody could say what damage might have followed. Before I buy a vehicle, the first thing I check are fluid levels and colors - they say a lot about the owners/dealers attention to servicing. Valves and even tensioner doesn't sound too big a deal, but somebody has to pay for it and work isn't cheap.

Often with mechanical noises you can't be sure of anything or quantify the total repair cost until some dismantling is done. It's not fair to expect a dealer estimate on the unknown and they would rather keep you happy and get the work first, then talk about the 'length of string' afterwards. Sadly it's like clinical cancer investigation. If oil has been a problem then the astute tech will be lifting heads and looking for any tell tale signs.

Because of the uncertainty, I'd pursue any warranty written or implied first. If you bought from a non-BMW dealer, you could get your BMW dealer to give you a written opinion/report covering as many areas of possible problems and some idea of costs. You may have to pay for this and offset it later against any claim. If you have any sales warranty, argue it on reports and estimates, not standing by the bike arguing if something is noisy or not. If you can trace any previous owners, you may be able to persuade them to fill in gaps or history your dealer tech. would never find.

Since bazra mentioned lower bearings, you should find out if the noise you get comes only when the motor is under load (high gear low speed) - that's likely bad news on lower bearings. If there's a problem with lower bearings the oil pressure often goes down, but on an investigation I'd put this near the top for techs to check first. If your noise comes for power on then goes on throttle rolloff, then timing chain/valves.

No doubt you are hearing all this with the plastic on. I think I'd take off the sides and try riding the bike with a skull helmet so I could hear the noises properly. It's too soon to get downhearted, you could be lucky, have a fairly minor problem and still end up with a good bike. Good luck.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode