'04 GT Oil Change/manual - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:51 am Thread Starter
Addict

Post '04 GT Oil Change/manual

I had bmw cars for 17 years and did all maintenance including shock/strut replacement, driveshaft R&R, Motor Mount R&R, valve adjustments, etc.

I have this bike that is due for service but have to wait 2 more weeks (been waiting 2 already). It seems wise and economical that I change my oil and any other fluids I can access but have no clue how to begin.

The owner's manual is scant on info and the guy I bought the bike from couldn't find his repair CD. Anyone out there have a repair CD for me or some pages that will help me do the fluid changes?

I have the gunsmoke site for the fairing R&R and I'll be replacing my fasteners with stainless from a local bolt place. I'll do some scrubbing while in there and want to know if there's any other advice on this process.

I'm a newb to bikes.

Gravity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:37 am

2004 K1200 Gt

Gravity, oil changing requires one to remove the lower engine plastic to access the engine oil drain plug and oil filter cover (small cover attached with three retaining screws). The oil filter may be some difficulty depending whether or not it has a BMW filter or an after market filter. The BMW filter requires a special wrench. The transmission fluid drain plug is located under the transmission case but requires a 14mm allen wrench. It is also located right above a cross member which make draining messy if you do not have a method to redirect the transmission fluid as it come out. The final drive fluid is straight forward.

As for new fluids, I use Redline Stockproof heavy for the final drive and transmission. The engine oil I used is Amsoil motorcycle oil 20/50 & Amsoil motorcycle oil filters. I order all Amsoil products on line shipped direct to my house. As for the Redline, I buy that at local race tracks but it can also be purchased on line.

Hope this helps. Tom
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 1:42 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Very helpful! Thanks! I've been eyeing the special filter wrench for the job and it looks like I'll be expanding my tool collection a bit this year.

Thanks,

Gravity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:19 pm
Addict

When you buy the stuff for your oil change, make sure you buy the kit instead of just the oil filter - comes with filter plus new aluminum washer for drain plug and large rubber o-ring for the filter cover.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 10:14 am Thread Starter
Addict

Very helpful, thanks. I recall reading that the filter can be pre-filled with oil and that the bike is full with 3.5 quarts of oil?

Thanks again,

Gravity
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 10:42 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity
Very helpful, thanks. I recall reading that the filter can be pre-filled with oil and that the bike is full with 3.5 quarts of oil?
I dunno about that. I just did an oil change and I poured in the specified 3.5 L (3.7 quarts) of oil (no filter prefill). Started the bike up, let it run for a minute or two, then shut it off and checked for leaks. None found, however the sight glass was absolutely full. No problem, I thought, maybe the new oil needs to fully circulate and fill up the system and the crankcase oil level will drop. So the next morning before going for a long ride with no particular destination in mind, I start up the bike and let it run for a couple of minutes, then take a quick but easy jaunt around the area (about 5 miles). When I get back, I put it on the center stand and let it sit for about ten minutes, then checked the oil level again. Still full. So I break out the oil drain pan, loosen the oil filter cover bolts and let enough oil drain out so that the level in the sight glass is correct (it was somewhere around 1/4 - 1/2 L overfull, apparently) and tightened them back up. Since then, the sight glass level has remained steady.

Next time I'll pour in less oil to start. :p

Last edited by carnadero; May 4th, 2006 at 11:28 am.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 2:30 pm

I usually...pre-fill the filter and give it a few minutes to absorb in, then fill to the middle of the glass. Start up the bike and let it run for just a minute. Wait ten minutes and then top off. Overfill = very bad
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 4:27 pm

oil change

Gravity-

check out Pirates Lair website for some decent how-to instructions for simple maintance jobs for your bike.

ONON-
Mark
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2006, 3:20 pm
Addict

The oil filter KIT has some extra washers in it, so don't worry when you have extra parts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2006, 6:01 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
The oil filter KIT has some extra washers in it, so don't worry when you have extra parts.
What's weird is that the kit I bought had two extra sealing rings, a bit small (.522 O/D, .410 I/D), that I couldn't figure out where they were supposed to go. Too big to use with the oil filter cover screws and too small for the drain plug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode