Warranty pinion seal replacement? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Warranty pinion seal replacement?

I am headed in this saturday to have what is hopefully my pinion seal replaced under warranty to stop the leaking on the final drive (no it is not simply the straps on the boot as it is puddled on the inside of the boot). Occurs pronounced shortly after cold start...once warm, stops completely.

Is there anything in particular that I should ask them to do/check/replace while they are at it? I am hoping it is not the trans output seal as I guess the replacement time is a bit more (so far the pinion seal replacement is going to be a same day service or so they claim). Any easy way to tell which it is (pinion or trans)? Oil levels of the rear and gear box don't seem to be changing. Engine oil level is solid (has never burned any in the 16k since I bought it new last year) so I know it is not leaking back into the trans (and the engine/tran seal shows no sign of weeping). Likewise, have been very careful to not overfill the engine, but I can't say that for the trans/rear since you can't know other than getting up the "screw hole" level.

Related, is there any sort of "breakin period" for a new seals (either one)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode