Gas Cap Entry - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Smile Gas Cap Entry

I was wondering if anyone has reversed the gas cap entry on the KRS or GT. I have seen and heard of a few riders that have changed it 180 from stock. It makes sense to me. I have always thought that it was kind of awkward when filling up with gas in the stock position.

I'm currently in the middle of all the 24 K maintenance and have the bike completley open. It looks like there is a gap on one side of entry hole, underneath the plastic center piece where the ring with all the allen screws go. If I were to turn it around 180 like I want, I would have to cut out about the same size gap so the reveresed ring would fit down and flush like stock.

Has anyone done this. It looks like it would work if I create the new cut gap. Would like to be sure so I dont screw up a an exspensive piece of plastic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 8:24 am
Veteran

Never thought of it as being ackward..but does sound interesting
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Southern Dude,

I didn't do the 180, but I did cut the neck out at the base.

Are you working on the bike while all the crazy bike week stuff is going on in Myrtle Beach? A lot of them are heading down here to see Charleston, and we've heard about some fatalities already. Stay safe up there.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'78 75th Aniv Sportster (1st owner, sold '89)
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad57
Southern Dude,

I didn't do the 180, but I did cut the neck out at the base.

Are you working on the bike while all the crazy bike week stuff is going on in Myrtle Beach? A lot of them are heading down here to see Charleston, and we've heard about some fatalities already. Stay safe up there.

If you did not flip the gas cap assembly with all the screws, then why did you cut the neck out? I can't see any other way to not turn the ring, cap, screws to have the lock cover open and flip up towards the dash rather than the seat. Splain to me reeky.

It's crazy hear this week! 4 deaths already, over 70 accidents and the biggest arrival has just started, and my wife has been run off the road once.
I told her to stay home and don't ride your bike until this is over. Yes, I'm doing my 24k and annual service as much as I can while this bike week is here.

Of all the fatalities so far, none were wearing helmets! Sad.

This is really sad. One of the fatalities was a biker backing his bike out of a trailer and was hit by another rider who crashed a red light. Just think, that poor guy never even got to ride. Plus his families heartache. Very sad.

My recommendation, is to stay away. This rally has gotten to big, and to dangerous.
I have a very good friend that is a paramedic and works this whole MB Bike week rally every year, and he told me last year of all the accidents that were answered to by paramedics groups, over 70% were people on rental bikes! You can rent a custom chopper, trike, Boss Hoss ( V-8 Motor), harley or what ever you want. It's a big business.

I refuse to ride with all these inexperienced riders. I know we all talk about how cagers don't know we are visible and many times it's there fault, but I have seen to many idiots on bikes here for my liking.

Leon
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Hey Leon,

I kinda figured it'd be crazy up there. I'm planning a trip to the Dragon and the Parkway next week and hope it's not too bad up there either.

The "fuel filler neckectomy" I did to keep from spashing fuel on the tank and myself. Here's a link to it : http://gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/k12...eck/index.html

Again, stay safe up there.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Wink BMW Dealer

Hey Robert, do you use the BMW dealer there in Charelston? Champion Honda/Ducati/BMW?
I have some questions if you do.

Leon
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Hi Leon,

No, sad to say that I don't. They are only about 10 miles from me too.

I bought my '04 GT from Touring Sport in Greenville last April. They had one on the floor, and Champion didn't. When the time came for the 600 mi service, Champion wanted $360 plus parts for the service, and Touring Sport and 3 other dealers said $160-180. I just didn't like the way the service writer presented himself. All the guys at Touring Sport race their bikes, and I just felt more comfortable with them working on it. Even if it is 234mi up the interstate. I just had them do the 6000mi and the annual service last month also. Great bunch up there. I'll get my parts for oil changes and such here, but I'll go upstate for the service. It's nice just getting away from the honey-do's for a day, even if it is just slabbing it.

One of the dealers I had called was in Wilmington, NC. Not sure how far that is from you, but I have an aunt up there I could have visited.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy

Last edited by samsdad57; May 17th, 2006 at 8:05 pm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 1:02 pm
Addict

years ago when i had my honda 350 the gas cap swung open toward the handlebars, there was a recall to switch the cap assembly 180 degrees due to safety standards. apparently the gas cap could potentially open in an accident and catch ones nuts on the way over the gas tank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 3:44 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmith1953
years ago when i had my honda 350 the gas cap swung open toward the handlebars, there was a recall to switch the cap assembly 180 degrees due to safety standards. apparently the gas cap could potentially open in an accident and catch ones nuts on the way over the gas tank.
never even thought of that....so if you do flip it then it becomes a girls bike?......just messen...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode