Rear pinion seal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Question Rear pinion seal

Just had my rear pinion seal replaced under warranty (was weeping onto the final drive since this winter). I forgot to ask them what parts and numbers where used, but it appears to be a common "problem"...anyone know the actual seal # and/or it's name? I didn't find any mention of pinion seal in the manual and likewise, I could not find it on max's fichie when I checked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2006, 9:29 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy45320
Just had my rear pinion seal replaced under warranty (was weeping onto the final drive since this winter). I forgot to ask them what parts and numbers where used, but it appears to be a common "problem"...anyone know the actual seal # and/or it's name? I didn't find any mention of pinion seal in the manual and likewise, I could not find it on max's fichie when I checked.
Looks like you have to look at the Pinion and Crown assemblies, but check you get the right parts for your bike year:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...38&hg=33&fg=10

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...39&hg=33&fg=10

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Looks like you have to look at the Pinion and Crown assemblies, but check you get the right parts for your bike year:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...38&hg=33&fg=10

Helps if I check the damn bill...has the bevel gear seal # on it...which started leaking AGAIN this weekend. Second time is a charm (when it comes to warranty work )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:17 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy45320
Surprised the parts weren't listed on your receipt...

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 2:12 pm
Enthusiast

if final drive seal, part #1, is leaking, that is a surefire indicator that the 120mm ball bearing, part #3, has excessive clearance.

the old bearings (pre-2003?) had 19 balls, all the failures in K12LT final drives prompted BMW to upgrade them to a better bearing, with 17 balls.

I would NOT use a 85x120x18 bearing from a bearing supplyhouse (Timkem, FAG, SKF) as the the BMW spec'ed bearing is designed to handle the thrust loads of the rear wheel.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 2:20 pm
Veteran

dont over look your breather....a pluged breather will blow a seal....easy to over look..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Now that you mention it...I noticed some crudded oil from the breather cap. If it is blocked, how can I get the damn thing off to check?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Veteran

mmmm...not sure...someone must know.....but ill go look at mine....think the cap pops off and then there is a hex head under that...ill look...goes to show that i havent cleaned mine....should clean during svc..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Veteran

cap pops off but no hex...looks as thou it is part of the casting....pop off plastic cap and clean....and probe the other part to make sure it is clean...i took mine off with my fingers....hope thats all it is....good luck!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 3:48 pm
Veteran

also there is a small hole in the cap that would seen it would face towards the rear to stop f.o.d. from entering ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode