Fuel Pump Flange Nut Tool - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Red face Fuel Pump Flange Nut Tool

Well, I'm caught in the middle. I have all my 24K service done except the ABS (Dealer will do) and the fuel filter. I have everything I need to replace the Fuel filter. I even have the cool Oetiker Clamps and Special tool to install the new ones.

When the dealer sold me the parts for the Fuel filter, clamps, and fuel pump gasket, they never mentioned that they use a special tool to loosen this large Flange nut that holds the fuel pump assembly inside the tank. It's also very important to have this tool so that you can torque this flange nut to 75 Newton Meters. I found out that there was a service bulletin from BMW to do a recall and torque them to 75 NM's.

NOTE: The K1200RS CD-Rom calls for 30 NM's. If you do your own disregard the CD-Rom torque spec of 30NM's. The correct Torque spec is 75 NM's! Failure to torque this F Nut correctly and you could have leaks which could lead to a fire. Not Good.

So now what the hell do I do? Bikes all striped down tank off, parts in hand, and, I call the closest dealer (125 miles) and he quotes me $225.00 to change the fuel filter.

So after all this techno garbo, Does anyone have or know where one might rent this special tool? I'll pay for all the shipping, plus a rental fee. This Would have to be way cheaper than $225.00. I'm so damn close! Man it's frustrating! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 3:25 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

When I checked last year, the tool was approx. $55 from BMW.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 3:32 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndude
When the dealer sold me the parts for the Fuel filter, clamps, and fuel pump gasket, they never mentioned that they use a special tool to loosen this large Flange nut that holds the fuel pump assembly inside the tank. It's also very important to have this tool so that you can torque this flange nut to 75 Newton Meters. I found out that there was a service bulletin from BMW to do a recall and torque them to 75 NM's.
What's worth noting is that special tool usage is not readily apparent at first glance when perusing the manual. The written instruction given is simply, "Remove seal (6) and union nut (7)", without any mention of any special tool requirement, unless one scrutinizes the exploded view thoroughly, whereupon it will be noticed that the tool illustration is off to the side, with a number of "16 1 710".

Seems to me that if a special tool is required for assembly or disassembly, its use should clearly be specified; e.g., "Remove union nut (7) using ST 16 1 710 and accompanying seal (6).", or something like that, just so that the rube (like yours truly) doing their own work knows beforehand the full extent of what's needed to get the job done capably.

Just my opinion.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

Red face Tool Cost

I agree 100%. Well, I just found out that the tool costs $63.00 From BMW and It's a special order that will take about a week to come in. Has anyone used this tool them selves? Has anyone used anything different?

Leon
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 4:02 pm
Addict

I've got the older tank and still have to do my filter so I might be off beam here. Is the cap nut (that's what BMW calls it) outside, 'cos if it is you just need one of those rubber strap tools for taking caps off jam jars or removing oil filters. As for the torque wrench - back to first principles, use a spring balance and measure the distance to the centre.

If the cap nut is inside perhaps find a pice of plastic waterpipe and cut slots in the bottom. I'm sure fuel filters have been done many times before on the newer tanks and nobody here is likely to buy a smart tool when they can be creative and make something.

At $63 for a BMW tool I don't think you will be getting much!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Red face Tool Thoughts

Your right, I now see what the tool looks like and it's probably not worth $63.00. It does have a 3/8's drive socket in the top center that allows you to use a torque wrench. I believe that I could get the Flange nut off. What bothers me is being able to use a torque wrench to torque it back on correctly with a make shift tool. I'm still thinking though.

If I were to damage the Nut it costs $12.00 to replace it. Not bad.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 4:43 pm
Veteran

is it a spanner nut?.....do you have a pic of it?...thanks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Flange Nut Photo

Ok Here it is.

Leon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flange Nut.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2506  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 8:33 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndude
Ok Here it is.
Looks like it's made outta ABS plastic or something similar.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 3:03 pm
Addict

Easy peesy unless I missed something. I buy my wife useful tools and here are just a couple:

At the top you can see the jam jar top remover (It's called a Boa (constrictor) or something like that). The rubber strap tools they sell for removing oil filters are a bit chunkier and usually have a 1/2 inch drive for your torque wrench that might be stronger and better for this job. I've got a chain strap version, rips a filter can to shreds, but gets the tough one's off. Below is the stainless turkey baster useful for extracting fluids - brakes, forks, overfills etc. Both probably cost about $25. So you'd have some left over for the spring balance! That's also useful for lower torque things where most torque wrenches aren't so accurate. I've got a set of 3 different weight ranges.

If you want to find some strong ABS, copper or steel pipe and cut slots in the bottom to fit the cap, run a parallel hole through the top, put in some rod and use a spring balance.

Convert your Nm to 'ft pounds' torque and get a spring balance if you haven't (and you should) got a torque wrench. A 3/8 drive isn't going to take much torque.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Kitchen kit.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	2527  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode